Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I called Wheel Exchange to see if the 17X8 Rondell 58 would fit my W8. As expected, they could not say for sure. So, I suggested sending me a single wheel which I would test fit to my car and if it didn't fit I would return and at least they would know for future inquires.

I got the wheel this week and test fitted to the front right side and to my surprise it fit with about 1/16th inch clearance between back side of spokes and the caliper. Good news I thought until I took a closer look at the caliper design and realized that I probably have at least 1/16th inch break pad wear and that if the pads were new, the calipers would stick out further and the rim would not fit. Am I on the right track here or is the W8 front caliper always in the same position regardless of the how much material is on the break pad??
:crazy:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are the W8 calipers twin piston? As in squeezing in from both sides? If the pistons are on the inside only then the caliper moves in as the brakes wear. If not then they can still move if there is any uneven wear.

Are W8 calipers fixed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe they are twin piston.

If the caliper itself is fixed as Clay suggests, the Rondells should be runnable on the W8, albeit a very tight fit (1/16th inch clearance). Anyone heard of a minimum recomended clearance between wheel and caliper?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have to make an amendment to my previous post. I believe the W8 caliper is a floating caliper, so new pads versus worn pads can make a difference in the wheel fitment. Ok, maybe not so much an amendment as a correction. :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
calipers are not twin, they are floating with two pistons. AKA both pistons are on one side and the caliper moves, just like the rear. i think this means that clearence will change. best way to check, go to vw delership and measure clearance between calipers and stock wheels and do the same for you stock wheels. or even better, as the head vw tech or go to www.dub-tech.com where the admin is a vw tech

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Looks like I'll be shipping the Rondell back and paying the extra bucks for BBS CH. Saw a set of the CH on a silver Jetta this weekend at the Phoenix Bug-o-Rama and they are even better looking than I had imagined. :b5:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts