Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi . Thanks to my buddy Ryan AKA Curry
I got the chrome molding from Sportwing.com to do the interior W8 Style.
well i dont like left overs so i started to look for something else to use the chrome on . so used it around the cluster and the shift boot .

Let me know what you guys think about it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very nice. I am going to do this to my car also. Where can I find that molding on their website? If you had to do it again, would you bother ordering it online, or would you just run to your local auto store and buy something similar? Any tips for installing it?

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. I am going to do this to my car also. Where can I find that molding on their website? If you had to do it again, would you bother ordering it online, or would you just run to your local auto store and buy something similar? Any tips for installing it?
I dont know about the one they sell at Peper boys or Autozone but this looks like is a very good material and 3M acrylic foam tape.
The PN is ABR20 it is the 1/4 half round chrome molding

$10.00 plus 5.00 shipping for 20ft

You just have to make sure the surface is clean ( use rubbing alcohol ) and the door / dash surface and the molding are warm .

A hair drier does the job.

there is a write up at B5one

http://www.b5one.com/howto/w8chrome.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
shifter surround chrome ring

It looks nice. I've been looking at buying a whole new shift boot that comes with the chrome trim around it, but I will try your idea first. I have bought the part from sportwing.com (Pep Boys only had the 3/8" width part) but haven't put it on yet.

How hard was it to cut the right length piece for the shift boot? Do you have to get the exact length at hand before you start bonding it or is it better to have some extra length and cut it for the perfect fit at the very end?

BTW, why is your A/C panel above your radio?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The Passat must be an early run ala AEB. This accounts for the differences in speedo and the HVAC location. Also notice the mirror control panel on the door.. no knob.

Looks good. I agree that since the car has no other chrome it isnt my flavor. Then again, I want to make brushed aluminum accents and the car has no other brushed aluminum. Any idea if they make molding like this but brsh. Al?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
very nice :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How hard was it to cut the right length piece for the shift boot? Do you have to get the exact length at hand before you start bonding it or is it better to have some extra length and cut it for the perfect fit at the very end?
cut a little extra then trim it at the to get the perfect fit .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts