Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Next question: Are the two pulleys different diameters in an overdrive/underdrive condition?
I can honestly say I can't answer that question.
I'm hoping Airkewld38 can answer that question. I'm under the impression he's got one of the W8's torn down.
I don't have my spare W8 from Wisconsin down here yet, otherwise I'd be all over that.

Tell me what pulleys you need I guess.
The two pulleys that are responsible for driving the balance shaft belt.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tell me what pulleys you need I guess.
Actually, to start with if you could snap a picture of the front of the engine showing the two pulleys. If you're able to do that of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like there's a vibrant Russian W8 owners group. Anyone know Russian?

Anyway there's some good high resolution pictures of belts and sprockets in these two links. Click the pictures for more detail.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks like it's probably a 2 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like it's probably a 2 to 1 ratio.
Still working on the Lotus Esprit W8 swap. I'm almost done welding my new frame to handle the Audi A6 rear axle, Audi 6 speed trans, and Lambo wheels.
To answer your question:
All balance shaft engines, usually 4 cylinder, use two shafts: one spinning clockwise and the other counterclockwise...at twice crank speed. The W8 uses a larger pulley on the crank and smaller pulley on the balance shaft. The other shaft is gear-driven off the first for reverse direction. Too bad they picked the weirdest pitch....7mm if I remember.

I was encouraged by the remarks of one who said the vibration w/o the belt was not so bad, making it sound like it is there just to appeal to spoiled owners of an overpriced luxury car. I don't think Ferrari or Maserati use balance shafts in their flat plane crank fitted V8's.

I'll stay tuned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It takes 10 - 15 minutes to reduce vibration from cold start. I'm rethinking this is due to the vacuum actuated part of the fluid filled motor mounts. My mounts were replaced about 2 years ago. Still, at idle if I put my hand on the intake it doesn't feel rough at all. Maybe it would feel more at the bottom? Anyway, I'm more worried about additional wear on exhaust manifold bolts or other parts getting more life shortening stress.
I also emailed Continental to get an update about the job a few days ago. They replied 2 to 3 months. I thought there was a run being produced for late last year. Was it made and all bought up or is it the same job pushed back?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You would almost think with the big chip shortage and plants shutting down, the past year would have been the time to sneak a short run of special belts in. I’m in for 2x whenever they are actually made

·
Registered
28,957 Posts
Most if not all of the 90-degree V6 engines that use a balance shaft only have one. There are several 4 cyl that also run a single shaft. The 2.0TDI had one in the bottom and it was pretty common to have it removed. It's not going to kill the engine for most drivers, but pushing it to high rpm often can cause issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have 2 balance shaft belts available (brand new OEM made in Germany by VW). Also I can install them with warranty. Been working on VW for 12 years now and own 4 W8 personally. If interested contact me. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I emailed this morning and got this reply moments ago.

Hi xxxxx,
First batch is currently on water and will hit the shelf soon. Difficult to give exact ETA, due to the ongoing delays at port and transport.
Catalog updates are sometimes taking a bit longer due to multiple verification checks before publishing.
Will follow up with you, once available for sale.
Best regards,
Stefan

Stefan xxxxx
Head of WD Channel Automotive Aftermarket
ContiTech Power Transmission Group

21 - 40 of 51 Posts