Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I might have found a solution for replacement belts.
This place makes custom belts.

I will be contacting these people to see what kind of requirements need to be met.
How Timing Belts Are Made | IL Pulley & Gear

If this is feasible I'd like to start a sign-up list of W8 owners wanting to get in on a group buy.

1) AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be great if you could.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waiting for some response from people over at Illinois Pulley & Gear.
I'll post back when hear something.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Illinois Pulley & Gear only makes pulleys, they don't make belts.
I did however find another place that DOES do custom timing belts.
Waiting for them to get back to me.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you folks seen this? From the W8 FB group. Looks like it will be made.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,124 Posts
Strange that Conti would make them for such a limited run of vehicles, even smaller amount still in service. Surely, this belt must fit other models/engines....

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The second place I contacted hasn't called me back after multiple attempts trying to reach them.
Don't know what the deal is there. I'll try one more time. If they blow me off again I'm going to wipe them off the list.

I'm also trying to find out info on this Continental thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
More info from the W8 FB group re the balance belt:

Reactions: otho03

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to the forum, just wanted to say that this would be one more order to justify the effort. As others have mentioned, the belt uses a really unusual pitch...one that doesn't match anything on anyone's shelf.
My donor engine for the 78 Lotus Esprit has only 70K on it, but I worry about age taking its toll on a rubber component. Another question is how severe is vibration if the belt is eliminated. I'm all for simplicity...if it works.
I'll stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question is how severe is vibration if the belt is eliminated. I'm all for simplicity...if it works.
There's debate on whether or not the balance shaft is needed.
It's sole purpose is to eliminate harmonic vibrations at certain rpm's. It's not just an individual component, it's part of the complete rotating assembly.
Not that the vibration would be severe, but at certain rpm's those harmonics are detrimental to bearings. For that reason alone I would not eliminate it.
That's just my personal take on the subject.

Reactions: Airkewld38

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another belt bites the dust. I'm in for at least 2 when they are back in stock.

The vibration is not too bad unless it's a cold morning. When the motor mounts warm up from all the friction the vibration almost disappears.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,124 Posts
I haven't seen the balance shaft pulley or the pulley that drives the belt, but do you think someone could machine a replacement pulley(s) to standard tooth number/pitch to match an existing produced belt?

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't been that deep into mine yet but that be an alternative option.
If I could get my hands on a set pulleys I could draw it up and machine a pair test parts. That'd be a hint for Airkewld38. :whistle:

Reactions: Airkewld38

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,124 Posts
I haven't been that deep into mine yet but that be an alternative option.
If I could get my hands on a set pulleys I could draw it up and machine a pair test parts. That'd be a hint for Airkewld38. :whistle:
Next question: Are the two pulleys different diameters in an overdrive/underdrive condition?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts