Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Projectors have a very sharp cut off. I'd say projecting 40-50 ft in front of the car is pretty nice though. I mean... that's what? 5 car lengths? What temperature bulb are you using? Changing the bulb temperature can change your overall visibility. 4500-5000k is close to direct sunlight (white-yellowish light.) The bluer the light the less visibility, and 6000k is right where it starts transitioning to blue.

You should be careful about adjusting the light up on HID lighting though. Better left to someone who knows what they're doing, but you can attempt to fiddle with the adjustment anyway. Only reason why I say that is because HIDs are MUCH MUCH more intense than halogen lighting on other driver's eyes. Even the OEM HID lighting can be killer. Doesn't the OE lighting Auto adjust anyway? Or at least have a rheostat to adjust the height? I know European B5's came with that, a little motor to adjust the light height.
Thanks for the reply vbora01!

They are 5600k. They are easier to see with at night than the 5000k they replaced. And I know that this is brand/model based, but when I drive next to other cars that have similar lights, a lot of newer/different car's lights are brighter further away but also the light is wider. I believe the W8's light hieght are adjustable from the computer, but there are some manual adjusters on the light case. Also would buying an aftermarket light case adjust the refraction of the the lights??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The B5 is a car that is quite DIY-able (although not so much the W8.) The Phaeton? I have no idea, but I do know that even if there is a "PhaetonWorld.com", it's not going to have nearly as much information on it as PassatWorld. It's a large, complex, luxurious car that's going to have a lot of things that can go wrong. If something goes wrong under the hood, it'll be no easier to service than your W8. And you'll have a tough time finding an experienced mechanic to work on it, even at the dealership, as the car was more-or-less a flop in the US. (And, on that note, why, oh why, is VW trying to bring it back here? A car line that includes a de-contented US-special Passat is a bit incongrouous with a Bentley Flying Spur on which has been affixed new bodywork and a VW logo.)

There's an excellent reason low-mile examples of the car, even with the W12, go for under 20k. (Cars.com even lists a W12 that's about the same age and mileage as my B5.5 for only a couple grand more than my car would list at. When an ultra-luxo-barge can list for around the same price as a Camry of the same age, that should tell you a lot.)
Thanks for the reply sirwired!

I did find a phaeton forum out on the Internets. They don't have as many posts, but it is really organized and informative. Kbb says my car value from a dealership is around $11,000 and the Phaeton I was looking at was $13,000. I think this makes your point very valid, but used Camry/toyota's are over priced. Actually that is mostly the used market is Big engines = cheap, and little engines = $$$$.

I do have a excellent VW/Audi/Mercs mechanic that only does the work on my cars and I would also go for W12. I mean at this price, if it fails, I can always go out and by a beater for a couple months and get something else later.

Thanks again for your input! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
understandable. just was pointing out that if you plan to keep a car for a long time, its good to research the crap out of it so you know if its going to be a headache/money pit, or something you wont be :banghead: about in the future.
my audi was super reliable for about 2 years, then it was one thing after another, and i ended up spending around $6,000 on it to keep it on the road. which is more than 50% of the cars value. and i always treat my cars right and dont abuse them, always warm them up prior to driving, even if the car has only sat for an hour or two, i let it run for a few min before going anywhere, and on cold starts i dont drive hard, i wait til the oil is up to operating temp. its just the way these cars are designed. audi/vw and bmw/mini have proven to be some of the most unreliable german cars.
Thanks again for the reply BEE5!

I am not the easiest with my cars, but it sounds like you got a bad deal with you Audi!

The only reason why I got rid of my old one is because the engine locked up after a 4-car accident. Well it had a bunch of other issues after the accident, needed new engine, exhaust, trunk, rear bumper, side fenders and panels, the list goes on. $8000 repair for a $2500 car? no thanks!

The only issues before that was 1 EGR valve and a $12 hose from 82000-138000 miles roughly. I do miss that car, it would just work no matter how I drove it.

Well, thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
On your question about CD Changers.
They are still available although discontinued. Look at 1stvwparts.com and getvwparts.com both have the changers for $72.
Or you can get one from ECS for $274. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Thanks hu vw for the info!

Also would buying an aftermarket light case adjust the refraction of the the lights??
If by "buying an aftermarket light case" you mean buying new headlight housings, than it would probably change the light beam. I'd say the OEM option is the best though in terms of quality of light output, and use of right components. I've got a set of DEPOs (an aftermarket brand for lighting) and while the projectors do "project" the light out and I can see the road, the beam looks a little sloppy in comparison to what I've seen OE HID lighting do.

If you're comparing your car to newer cars, I think you're slightly off base. Lighting technology is starting to make drastic changes towards LED lighting and further use of HID lighting. More technology exists than when your W8 was made, so reflectors may have changed or been tweaked to better output the light. At least, that may be one reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
On your question about CD Changers.
They are still available although discontinued. Look at 1stvwparts.com and getvwparts.com both have the changers for $72.
Or you can get one from ECS for $274. :icon_eek:
Wow good find! I'll pick one of those up for that price

Thanks 2002GLXV6!!! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks hu vw for the info!

If by "buying an aftermarket light case" you mean buying new headlight housings, than it would probably change the light beam. I'd say the OEM option is the best though in terms of quality of light output, and use of right components. I've got a set of DEPOs (an aftermarket brand for lighting) and while the projectors do "project" the light out and I can see the road, the beam looks a little sloppy in comparison to what I've seen OE HID lighting do.

If you're comparing your car to newer cars, I think you're slightly off base. Lighting technology is starting to make drastic changes towards LED lighting and further use of HID lighting. More technology exists than when your W8 was made, so reflectors may have changed or been tweaked to better output the light. At least, that may be one reason.
Thanks again for the reply vbora01!

Yes I was referring to the headlight housing. I was afraid of that would be the case. Besides I like the look of the W8 stock.

I quite agree with your second statement, but if I never ask, I would never know. Even if they are dumb questions :)
I would imagine LED and better research into HID (refracting/patterns, widen lens, better bulbs, more power) are the main reasons.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Thanks again for the reply BEE5!

I am not the easiest with my cars, but it sounds like you got a bad deal with you Audi!
actually i got the audi from a old lady that had it maintained on time thru warranty at the dealer. she was the original and only owner. everything was done and she always cared for the car. i got it with 40k miles. it still smelled brand new inside and was flawless.

its just the way these cars are designed. audi and bmw engineers parts to fail so they can make money off repairs and parts. its a business strategy. they sell you a car , and still make thousands off it,years later

21 - 31 of 31 Posts