Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, decided to get rid of having xenons on all the time. First went hunting for 173-no success. Well, W8 behind the dash appears quite different from other pictures I saw. Anyway, decided to tape the pin in the switch. Took me a minute to figure out what to turn and where :oops: For some reason I thought the whole switch needs to be turned clockwise :crazy: Anyway, figured out what to do, taped pin B and voila-no DRL. :thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just curious to ask, why disable the DRL? It does no harm, and can only do good.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, for me it was because I could forget to turn on lights at night:( There are few other things, but this is main :oops: Anyway, do the search and you will come up with many more reasons people do it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
VW4.0L said:
First went hunting for 173-no success. Well, W8 behind the dash appears quite different from other pictures I saw.
On my W8, relay 173 was where the pictures showed it. I was able to reach it behind the fuse panel.

·
Registered
381 Posts
VW4.0L said:
Honestly, for me it was because I could forget to turn on lights at night:( There are few other things, but this is main :oops: Anyway, do the search and you will come up with many more reasons people do it.
Didn't you notice that the instrument panel is a little dark? :shock: One thing I miss about my Mercedes is that the lights came on when it got dark and went off when it got light. Never had to touch them. Also the DRL on the MB is driver programmable.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
beavis, that sounds like auto lights, no DRL. Some cars have this, I wish passats had this, but they dont. My moms toyota land cruiser has DRLs and auto on lights, it really nice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Correct. MFD allows you to program DRL, delay time before shutoff (lights), etc. Now you guys are making me miss my baby... :cry: That's okay.. I love my :b5: but I do miss some of the Benz things.

·
Registered
138 Posts
VW4.0L said:
Well, decided to get rid of having xenons on all the time. First went hunting for 173-no success. Well, W8 behind the dash appears quite different from other pictures I saw. Anyway, decided to tape the pin in the switch. Took me a minute to figure out what to turn and where :oops: For some reason I thought the whole switch needs to be turned clockwise :crazy: Anyway, figured out what to do, taped pin B and voila-no DRL. :thumbup:
During delivery, I pulled relay 173 on mine. It was right where it was on my 01.5 GLX. Popped in my Euoswitch during delivery as well.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beavis said:
Correct. MFD allows you to program DRL, delay time before shutoff (lights), etc. Now you guys are making me miss my baby... :cry: That's okay.. I love my :b5: but I do miss some of the Benz things.
I got both (C320 and W8 ). Believe it or not, I like :b5: better, even though Merc is quicker and tighter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts