Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow W8er's (or others) as the post states I had problems, and gave up for the moment.
I'll try again when the engine is COLD.
I undid the intake track from the grill to the top of the airbox. Remved 2 Torx20 screws holding stuff to the side/top of the box. Removed all 4 clips - AND managed to get all 4 back on - YES!
I also removed the 10mm bolt holding the lower box to the fender to wiggle.
I could get the box open just enought to see well, but not enough to keep from damaging the filter removing it (or putting the new one in).
The next step I'll tru is loosing the retaining band on the connection between the MAF and intake tube to throttle?
Any pointers will be most appreciated, and I will do a write-up too.
Gratzi!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm interested to see how this goes....I haven't replaced my W8's air filter yet and based on your 1st round I think I'll wait to see responses first!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You dont need to remove the 10mm bolt, just slip the retainer clip back and pull the lid out.

Its really easy. Just DO-NOT remove the round clip, its tight and closes right up so a bugger to replace.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L7 KVV when you say "...just slip the retainer clip back and pull the lid out" are you referring to the clip that holds the upper box extension tube to the throttle body? I can get it with large slipjoint pliars.
That makes sense - too bad Bentley doesn't tell us that.
Anyway, I'll be tackling the sparkplugs in about 5,500 miles.
I have an idea on that one, too - I know the upper manifold extensions come off (5 bolts on each). After that, it's just unplug coil, pull plug, replace plug and coil, put extensions back on. Still don't know if I'll be able to reuse the gaskets on the extensions.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
This is why I put a K&N air filter on my car. I don't have to change it for another 30,000 miles.

One of those cone+pipe intake systems would probably be even better, because the filter isn't inside anything. Loosen a clamp, pivot the intake duct, loosen another clamp, and take the filter off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts