Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

What suspension package would you choose?

• No suspension package (1BA-type stock suspension)

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Sport suspension and 18" Chicago wheels as a package

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Sport suspension only (not packaged with a wheel upgrade)

Votes: 173 56.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love living in Detroit!

This morning, the product planning team from VWoA asked if we could help them sort a package. They are working on the 08 cars right now.

Please choose the option you would buy on cars equipped with the 2.0T engine. This is transmission independent. Manuals will remain in the product mix, so if you're worried about that, don't.

The sport suspension package in question is similar to the 1BE kit - factory sport suspension - and is installed during manufacture. The cars would arrive at port this way.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
It's ok to post comments......
No pressure, right?

Well, because of the subjectivity in choosing wheels, I'd say offer the suspension upgrade and let the owner do whatever they want with wheels and tires. Yes, everyone has their own taste in suspension, too, but I've got to imagine that a buyer would be far more inclined to take the factory "sport suspension" upgrade than that same upgrade packaged with a particular wheel size/style/finish.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Please let the variants with manuals get a moonroof!! I plan on purchasing a new car within the next year or so, I refuse to get a slushbox, but want a moonroof in the variant. A sport suspension (independent of wheels) would be a nice addition for ~$500. HID headlights should be package independant also. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Chalk another comment up for "Don't forget the Variants". If I was in the market for a new ride right now (I'm not, the 03 Variant is great), I'd have a hard time buying a Passat Variant.....

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
offer the suspension upgrade and let the owner do whatever they want with wheels and tires.
Absolutely. For what VW charges for OEM wheels ($350+ ea), I'd rather those be left out of the package. For half that price, you can get much nicer wheels elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
i voted sport suspension only, no wheels packaged... primarily to reduce the cost. IF the factory wheel upgrade was reasonably priced (and had a few options for wheels) i would be inclined to do the suspension with wheels as a package.

but for sure i would get the sport suspension, assuming the suspension package was enough of an improvement (enough stiffer and enough lower).

a.s.

·
Registered
26,648 Posts
I have not driven the B6 yet, but the B5 should have come stock with the 1BE. The JettaV handled so much better than the B5/B5.5 Passat when both are stock.

I would like the choice of suspension upgrade without being forced into an 18" wheel. Some of us do not like to worry about bent wheels.

Now, if they would only bring back the cloth seats in the B6 Passat!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i've had time to drive two b6's @ voa's regional office in socal for about 30 minutes each. i don't know the exact specs on the vehicles, but i believe one was a 2.0t, and the other, a 3.6. both had leather, mfsw, and climatronic with navi.

and my opinion is that the suspension is way too soft for those of us who like a sporty feel. too much wallowing and body roll.

also, the steering was way too light. this should be something fairly easily fixable, as the 06 gti steering feel could be adjusted with the vag-com, and i'm assuming that the b6 uses a similar electro-mechanical steering mechanism. i believe that this would be good to include in the "sport package" as well.

wheel package, i wouldn't do, because everyone's taste is different.

2,551 Posts
Absolutely. For what VW charges for OEM wheels ($350+ ea), I'd rather those be left out of the package. For half that price, you can get much nicer wheels elsewhere.
They would not charge $1400 for the rims upgrade if they grouped it together with the suspension package.

Pictures of the Chicago Rims would have been helpful. Did a google search and I like what I think are the Chicago's. It would definitely be a modded car's wheels. Almost RS4-ish, but not as wickedly curved.

And you can always sell the wheels if they weren't your cup of tea. I think more importantly VW would want a way for people who purchased the upgraded suspension to differentiate themselves from people with stock suspensions. I know it sounds funny to me, but the smallest nuances make all the world to a lot of people who are into cars: like having a badge of honor for upgrading their cars.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
People forget that the upgraded wheels may be 350 a piece, but the smaller wheels you are replacing are in the neighborhood of 250.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
ok, a sport package already exists for the 2.0t now, with a sport suspension. what's the difference between the sport suspension already on the 07 sport pkg, and the 08 suspension?

Sport Pkg #2 • 2.0T ex Value Ed 4,980.00 5,450.00
(N/A Base, 2.0T Value Ed or 3.6) (N/A w/Wheels-BAT) Includes Luxury Pkg #2 Plus Brushed Aluminum Interior Trim, Sport Bucket Seats, Sport Suspension, P235/40R18 Tires & Samarkand Alloy Wheels.

Luxury Pkg #2 • 2.0T ex Value Ed 4,019.00 4,400.00
(N/A Base, 2.0T Value Ed or 3.6) (Std w/Sport Pkg #2-W34) Includes Dual-Zone Automatic Air Conditioning, Front Fog Lights, Garage Door Opener, Automatic Headlamp Control, Wood & Aluminum Interior Trim, Approach Lights, O/S Mirrors & Driver's Seat Memory, Inside Automatic Day/Night Mirror, Package #1-W31, Dual Power Seat Adjusters, Leather Surfaced Bucket Seats, Leather-Wrapped Multi-Function Steering Wheel & Rain-Sensing W/S Wipers.

·
Registered
436 Posts
How about a 2.0T with 4motion. If they made that in a wagon I would buy it. Make it with sport suspension and bixenons...and I would place a deposit today.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Is this for the variants? IIRC packages for 2008 already came out didn't they?

this was copied from a post on the 'tex from a salesperson over there
Line up
Passat Turbo 2.0L, 200 hp, 4 cylinder Turbo 6-speed manual / AQ 6-speed automatic Tiptronic
Passat Komfort 2.0L, 200 hp, 4 cylinder Turbo 6-speed manual / AQ 6-speed automatic Tiptronic
Passat Luxus 2.0L, 200 hp, 4 cylinder Turbo AQ 6-speed automatic Tiptronic
Passat 3.6L VR6 3.6L, 280 hp, 6 cylinder AQ 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic
Passat 3.6L 4Motion® VR6 3.6L, 280 hp, 6 cylinder AQ 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic

wheels:
7J X 16'' alloy wheel "Catalunya" for turbo model
7 1/2J X 17'' alloy wheel "Monte Carlo", full-size 16" steel spare for Komfort model
7 1/2J X 17'' alloy wheel "Sienna", full-size 17" alloy spare for luxus
8J X 18'' alloy wheel "Chicago" optional on komfort and luxus
8J X 18'' alloy wheel "Samarkand" standard on VR6

Packages
2.0T Komfort
Ambient lighting (interior front)
Diversity Antenna
Footwells, illuminated
Interior trim, metal-look synthetic "Matte Chrome" w/ Black seat trim
Interior trim, metal-look synthetic "Brushed Stainless" w/ Pure Beige seat trim
Multi-function steering wheel (3-spoke) leather w/ tiptronic (auto)
Reading lights, additional 2 in rear passenger area
Satellite Radio (Sirius) incl. hardware, activation fee, 3 months service
Sound System 2 din AM/FM w/ in dash 6 cd changer (Premium VII)
Sunroof, power glass
Sunvisors, left/right double visors, top visors sliding with illuminated vanity
7 1/2J X 17" Alloy Wheels "Monte Carlo"
235/45 R17 all season tires
Chrome front grille strips
2.0T Luxus
Includes items in 2.0T Package #1, plus:
Climatronic™ dual-zone automatic climate control
HomeLink® integrated garage door opener
Interior trim, partial wood / partial brushed aluminum
12-way power passenger seat. Includes 3-position memory (memory for driver
seat and exterior mirrors)
Interior rearview mirror, self-dimming, switchable
Park Distance Control
Rain sensor, front windshield
Heated Seats
Comfort seats, front, with Vienna Leather seating & armrest surfaces
Headlights, automatic, with "Coming Home" feature
Exterior mirrors, power, heated, with environment lighting
Fog lights, front
Wheels alloy 17" "Sienna"

VR6
Includes items in Package #2,
Front leather sport seats
Dynaudio Premium Sound Package
Cargo Net
8J X 18" Alloy "Samarkand" wheels
All season 235/40 R18 tires
Sport Suspension
Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS
Heated Washer Nozzles
if i'm correct they are not offering a sport package on the 2.0t

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Sport suspension, but it needs to be a legit upgrade, not 1in lower and not any stiffer.
I want to see a quality legit suspension with stiffer springs, high quality damping and sways and maybe strut bars. Ideally, I wouldn't want a drop as it doesn't really improve handlinga nd just makes real roads more of a PITA. However, I realize they feel they likely need that to sell it (though I hope not). Also, don't make it some $1000 option, most people can build thier own for much less. Then again, I believe that if VW offered a sport suspension on my B5 it should have been stock springs, bilstien HDs, a big-ass rear sway, and a front strut bar.

No 18in wheels. I tend to believe in the smallest wheels that clear the brakes/and or can get the tires I want. Some cast VW 18s will weigh 30lbs. OEM wheels are snow wheels for me anyhow, and 18s aren't going to do me any good. The only way I'd get 18s is if it came with a brake upgrade :) (and then rotors that big would likely weigh too much compared with any improvement). You put some light, maybe forged wheels in the package with some good dedicated summer shoes, then that might be ok.
Leave the 18s as a side option. Big wheels as sporty is merely marketing, and heck, it will likely, work, but it will piss me off and leave me with 4 boat anchors.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I voted for sport suspension only.
I also don't like the aesthics of the newer/recent designed wheels
coming from VW.

Also, people like having choices... give them options I say. Another
reason why I opted for sports suspension as I want wheels that
I pick. People don't like others making decisions for them. When VW
or whomever creates a "package" they automatically narrow who
they can sell to.

BTW I work in marketing. ;-)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just voted for Sport suspension only.
But it should be really sporty enough as the name suggests. It should at least come with upgraded rear sway bars and steering with less assistance whilst more road feel. Not like the 1BE in B5.5, it doesn't have these upgraded elements compared to 1BA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
haha. may I take a wild stab at who the "product planning" person is!! ..

what a super cool job to have.. I was just talking to him yesterday .. said he got back from Germany and Mexico talking with them about getting some super sweet parts put on some new german autos. ..

1 - 20 of 70 Posts