Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just beside myself. i'm unable to comprehend the reasoning of VWOA. I purchased the vehicle in Sept 08 under a CPO warranty and from the start the trunk was never easy to open. since the weather turned cold the trunk has become impossible so i took it in to the dealer knowing full well there was a TSB (55 05-02) indicating the hinges were defective. well i get the automatic response that's it's not covered under warranty and it'll cost $600 to replace the hinges.

fine, i've been thru this routine before. the last time i took the vehicle in for warranty repairs they told me it would cost $1100 and btw it's not covered under warranty. after fighting the dealership and getting VWOA involved, surprise, everything is coverer under warranty. this time things did not go so well.

VWOA tells me the hinges are not covered under the CPO warranty. I ask isn't the CPO a bumper-to-bumper exclusion warranty? VWOA tells me yes it is a bumper-to-bumper warranty, but the hinges are not covered. i ask shouldn't this be included in the exclusion list the dealership provided me when they sold me the CPO warranty? did the dealership misrepresent the warranty?. VWOA tells me no the dealership did not represent the warranty--the hinges aren't listed in the exclusion list, it's just not covered. I ask VWOA what is your definition of a bumper-to-bumper warranty? VWOA tells me that their bumper-to-bumper warranty is "comprehensive". I ask why don't include everything that's excluded from the warranty in the exclusion list. VWOA tells me it's not reasonable for them to do so

I ask would the hinges have been replaced under the original vehicle bumper-to-bumper warranty? VWOA says yes, but not under your bumper-to-bumper CPO warranty. i ask shouldn't the hinges be replaced if they are found to be defective during the 112 point CPO inspection? VWOA tells me that bad hinges wouldn't be evident from the inspection. wtf! apparently the lid is never opened and the trunk is inspected by folding the rear seats down

I guess i live with a messed up trunk. i paid $2000 for the CPO warranty and i'll be damned if i fork out $600 more for a part that VWOA and the dealership knows is defective. if this wasn't my first VW i might have known to demand they fix the trunk before signing the contract

·
Registered
890 Posts
What year is your car? How many miles are on it? Have you tried simply lubing the hinges?? Are you sure it's not the shocks that are causing the hard opening...happens more than you think

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is your car? How many miles are on it? Have you tried simply lubing the hinges?? Are you sure it's not the shocks that are causing the hard opening...happens more than you think
04 passat gls, 44800 miles at purchase, 48000 current miles. lifting the trunk in winter feels like 30-35lbs

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would seriously look at the struts that hold the trunk open, sounds like they are bad to me especially being that it got worse when the weather got colder, they are a wear item and will not be covered under warranty. Just remember that even though there may be a tsb on a particular concern doesn't mean that that is what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
If VW won't cover them, you can buy them for about $100 for both sides at www.1stvwparts.com, unpainted and DIY. Either paint to match car or maybe just paint them black.

Also, take a strut off one at a time and test it. It should be very difficult to operate with a quick pushing / pulling motion. If you can move the piston with little effort, replace them. The struts will be about $25 - $50 a pair. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ccr1kzvtgylgej451swwer3h&partnumber=3B5 827 550 E
http://www.partsquick.com/SearchResults.asp?w=3B5827550E&s.x=28&s.y=5

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
yea, my thoughts are on the struts being bad...

as for the recal, didn't that expire a long time ago?

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
wtf! apparently the lid is never opened and the trunk is inspected by folding the rear seats down

I guess i live with a messed up trunk.
This is what I'm dealing with now. I now have spent about 8 months getting in and out of the trunk by foling down the seats.

I've replaced my latch 2 times and repaired it 3 times now over 3 years. Each time I replaced the latch it cost $180 to $200 and each repair was an between $75 to $120. So all together I've spent over $750 on this latch and it's broke again. I took it back to two different dealers praying that they would finally agree, enough is enough, I've spent enough and we'll cover it under warentee. Usually I can get the labor for the job covered under the 12 months guarentee of the work but I'm still paying for parts or something.

This last time I thought I won because Three River's VW said they would take care of it at no cost doing the P9 recall. The day after I piked up my car the latch broke again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the trunk is just as difficult to operate with one end of the struts disconnected. there's little resistance in the strut rods so i suppose they are bad, but wouldn't replacing them make the trunk lid harder to open? as it stands now the trunk lid binds so bad it stays open all on it's own halfway raised. i sprayed white lithium grease on the hinges to no avail. i think i will remove the struts and throw them away

the hinges are known to be defective and VW is at fault, why the hell don't they replace them for everyone warranty or not? who do you go to to complain when VWOA screws you over?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
If the trunk lid stays open half way up, I'd say the hinges are probably bad. The struts are there to lighten the load, help keep the trunk open and also to keep the trunk from slamming down hard when closing.

VW replaced my trunk hinges and struts on my 2000 at about 100k miles under my extended, no deductible, 7yr / 100k miles warranty purchased from VW at the time I bought the car for $800. So, it really makes no sense that the CPO warranty will not cover this. It seems to me, the CPO is touted as being equivalent to if not better than these extended warranties. Maybe you can get a consumer action group involved (local news media) or if you know an attorney ask them for advice or even write a letter to VWoA.

There are used hinges on ebay but I wouldn't buy a used hinge knowing the "binding" problem with the hinges. If you do plan on replacing them yourself, I'd first buy the struts and see if the new struts help at all. Maybe you can live with it. If that doesn't help, then I'd buy the hinges and probably not even bother to paint them.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
I think the VWoA left the last letter of the CPO Acronym off and it really stands Certified Piece Of...

I had their "CPO Warrenty" on a Mk4 that I bought a few years ago. Was in the shop 7 times in the first year for MAJOR items. Catalytic Convertor, throttle body, etc etc. The first time the throttle bady had issues I took it in. They "cleaned" it to the cost of 300 bucks to me. I inquired about having to pay and they said it was maintenence. 2 weeks later it happens again. Now they said we will replace it at no cost as its covered under the warrenty. Again I inquired about my cost before and they said it was their policy to try to clean first, then replace.
From that point on that dealership (that between family and friends purchased 17 cars in 4 years) never got anymore business from me. Thank god the salesperson I deal with moved to another dealer

·
Registered
323 Posts
Doesn't sound like this would be too difficult to figure out where the problem is.

I'd remove each gas filled strut, one at a time, then compress it. The strut and it should slowly extend with a pushing force. The struts assist in opening the lid.

If not, move on the the hinges.. Remove an end of each hinge, one at a time, move it and see if it's binding.

I'd be a bit ticked about the warantee also. Sure it's a moving item but should not be considered a wear item. Think about how many items slide or move on the car (seats, handles, etc..).

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Sue them in the small claims court.
Hell hire a lawyer too.
You will win, then they will have to cover your legal bill too.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Yeah, they only cover wear and tear items for the first year of the car's life. After that, it's only defective stuff that they take care of. I have a '99 and my hinges and trunk shocks still work like new with no problems. But I barely use the trunk (I don't buy groceries with my car).

If all fails with getting them to do it under warranty, I say go to a local junk yard and pull some hinges and trunk shocks off a similar model and year passat and install them on your car either by an indy mechanic or by yourself. You'll save a lot that way.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
this is not a trunk strut problem, guys. there's a recall on the hinges, as the hinges have a propensity to bind. the recall is listed here on PW someplace, if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Don't forget to check the "Classifieds" here on PW. Some guys parting out their cars might have a good set of hinges you could get quick and cheap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i find it dishonest the dealership knew about the defective hinges and sold me the car certified pre-owned without replacing them. When i took it in 4 months later they immediately pointed out to me it was a well known common problem with passats and jettas before i even brought the tsb to their attention

Subject: Rear Lid, Hinge(s), Binding
Model(s): Jetta 1999-2005, Passat Sedan 1997-2005
Group: 55
Number: 05-02
Date: Jun 10, 2005

Condition:
Rear lid hinge(s) binding, require high effort to open or close the rear lid.

Production:
Improved hinges can be identified by Part No: stamped on hinge mounting surface. Old version hinges: have suffix “A” New hinges have suffix “B”.

Service:
Install both left and right hinges: Part No: 3B5 827 301B Left side 3B5 827 302B Right side

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't forget to check the "Classifieds" here on PW. Some guys parting out their cars might have a good set of hinges you could get quick and cheap.
i'll live with the hinges. I'll sell the car first or do violence to the dealership before i consider paying a penny to replace the hinges

1 - 20 of 50 Posts