Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys,

I was at VW stealership yesterday when they cheked my VIN and told me there is a VWoA recall on replacing Pollen Filter Seal ('02 1.8T). Would cost me $170. I declined.

Has anyone got this recall? If so, what is the issue and how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Yes, there was a pollen filter seal recall. I'm not sure it's still in effect; but if it was, the work should be free.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
If your car hasn't had it yet, it is free regardless.. They still come in from time to time and get done for free...... Try another dealer that won't rip you off lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's a worthwhile recall to get done, as the work aims to prevent water intrusion into your cabin. There's a chain of problems that can conspire to flood you out.

At the bottom of the waterfall, there is a gang drain under the battery that has a vented rubber plug in it. The plug is a sort of primitive one-way design that lets water from under the battery flow out. Problem is that it's pretty easy to get leaves into this area and the leaves end up blocking the drain hole. So the battery area becomes a bathtub. Ice can do the same thing in blocking the drain.

When the water rises high enough, or sloshes up while the car is moving, it will surround the base of the pollen filter. If the sealing material there is weak, water flows in to the cabin air system--which is pretty much a straight path to the floor.

Since the automatic transmission control module is under the passenger seat and the comfort control module is under the driver's seat, wetness is a non-trivial problem.

Keep your drains clean. Get the recall taken care of.

FWIW, VWoA would probably take a dim view of a dealer trying to charge for recall work. So would the Feds (NHSTA).

I'd consider looking for another dealer, as this is not a good signal, but you're in a position to stick it to them, especially if you've got something in writing that would charge you for the recall. (Do remember that the dealer will charge VW to perform the work. Perhaps that's the source of confusion.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had mine done. I believe they change the seal around the pollen filter tray so water does not leak into the cabin. It was a recall so it was free.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The recall includes sealing your pollen filter housing, trimming the sunroof drain ends in your door jambs (and checking functionality), and removing the butt-plug for your plenum under the battery. There should be no cost for this work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was at VW dealership yesterday when they cheked my VIN and told me there is a VW recall on replacing Pollen Filter Seal on the B5 and B5.5

Has anyone got this recall ?
If so, what is the issue and how did you deal with it ?
Yes, there is a pollen filter seal recall.
Can someone tell what this recall consists of ? :confused:

...Maybe post a Copy or a PDF file here.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd say go back and get a quote in writing. Then call VWoA and let them know the dealership name and fax them over the "quote".

Enough is enough. Recalls are free. If it were me...after I got the quote in my hand, I'd *loudly* start discussing why recalls cost money only in their dealership.

AJ

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a 02 1.8T and I don't remember getting a recall for the pollen filter seal. Thanks for posting this, I'll check with my dealer tomorrow.
I have been getting a musty smell in my cabin recently after heavy rain, I need to check the drain under the battery tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I was at VW stealership yesterday when they cheked my VIN and told me there is a VWoA recall on replacing Pollen Filter Seal ('02 1.8T). Would cost me $170. I declined.

Has anyone got this recall? If so, what is the issue and how did you deal with it?
Technically speaking it is not a recall but the “P9 Service Action” started on June, 2008 that is why VWGoA did not send out the "recall" notice. If you have good relationship with your VW dealer service advisor, you can ask for the Service Action Circular Code: P9/66C8 document revised on June 2008. Also see post #2 and #32 in this thread for some details of P9 Service Action:
wet rear passenger side

But here is the twist. Since the water intrusion class action lawsuit to Passat B5.5 had been settled on July 26, 2010 and almost all Passat owners did not exclude themselves from the settlement before June 15, 2010, we can no longer sue VWGoA for any water damage due to the water intrusion problem. VWGoA may have stopped P9 Service Action campaign hence the owner may have to pay for the cost of this service from now on.
Details on Class Action Lawsuit for Water Damage

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Spoke to my dealer, they said I got this recall done in 2008.
Still, I get musty smell in the cabin after heavy rains so I need to check the problem areas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 01 B5.5 1.8T and I just turned it in 3 months ago to do all the recall work cuz I didnt know there was any lol. New fuel lines, pollen seal, some other filter, coil packs all 4 (had to pay for the new spark plugs they arent covered) I will try to find my receipt in a few minutes I'm sure there was more. They have to replace it for free labor included. The only thing I had to pay for was the spark plugs.

EDIT: I found my receipt, They replaced Coil packs (4), the Pollen Filter Housing, Under body Heat Shields, NAR SEALG Cord, replaced all my fuel lines.
I brought it in on June 10th, 2011. The work was done at YOUNG's VW dealer in Easton, PA. Total i payed was $114.00 and again it was for my spark plugs for the coil packs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts