Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer is advertising $3000 off MSRP for any Jetta TDi with a slushbox. I would have tought these cars would be much harder to come by. :crazy:

While the price of gas in my area is significantly lower than last year diesel fuel is now less than 20 cents more than premium. :crazy:

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
All the same it will still drop 70% in 4 years.
So who cares that a new Jetta has $3000 back :)

·
Yo! Bum Rush The Show
469 Posts
Not a bad deal considering how hardy those TDI's are, good for the long term. I would think VW would be in trouble just like the rest of the automakers right now.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the TDi is supposed to save VW from the same fate as the other car companies I wouldn't expect such deep cuts.

What I also find interesting is that it's only on automatics and not on manuals. Maybe this will encourage VW to bring in more manuals.:thumbup:

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
They know the economy is hurting right now, so they are advertising to hopefully pull in some buyers over here. And they probably have a surplus of autos. $3k off MSRP is nothing to a car dealer. They still make lots of money on the car. Let me know when they start cutting $6k off.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
i was about to make the same point.
"hook them while you can, nomatter what the cost" is kind of what appears to be happening.
looks like they're trying to end ford and the other screwed companies. :lol:

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Since the TDi is supposed to save VW from the same fate as the other car companies I wouldn't expect such deep cuts.

What I also find interesting is that it's only on automatics and not on manuals. Maybe this will encourage VW to bring in more manuals.:thumbup:
Honestly, I did not even look because VW never deals on popular models.
I've not been happy with what I've seen so far(only actually driven a Venza,
looked at Patriot and Caliber(no SRT4)) and was gonna go look at CPO B5.5/6s/A3s
this weekend. I'll ask about the TDI's. TDI with DSG would be great.

BTW a DSG is in no way a "slushbox". There is no slush in that thar box ;P

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
AFAIK, the auto tranny in a Jetta diesel is TIP and not DSG. Therefore, it IS a slushbox.
DSG still sucks anyway...(yes I have had one) the newness wears off VERY quick.

as for tdi's I am surprised by this too... they hold their value 3 fold better than the petrol counterparts...

·
Registered
194 Posts
AFAIK, the auto tranny in a Jetta diesel is TIP and not DSG. Therefore, it IS a slushbox.
According to the VW web site (on the Build Your Own page), the TDI comes with the DSG.

I'm surprised the TDI is discounted. Usually in every previous incentive, the TDI is excluded - for example, the TDI is excluded from the special APR being offered right now. This discount must be from a desperate dealer just wanting to make a sale, any sale.

·
13,906 Posts
nope. DSG. well, they have multiple models i think...

point being, i drove one with 6 speed dsg. it was the jetta model they had sitting at the dealer before the release of the new engine and the sport wagon.

it had been so hard driven, it's reverse sprag clutches were shot, and it started rolling backwards on a hill. :lol:

it had the PISS driven out of it...

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts

point being, i drove one with 6 speed dsg. it was the jetta model they had sitting at the dealer before the release of the new engine and the sport wagon.

it had been so hard driven, it's reverse sprag clutches were shot, and it started rolling backwards on a hill. :lol:

the dsg's do roll backwards a bit on a hill...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
DSG still sucks anyway...(yes I have had one) the newness wears off VERY quick.

as for tdi's I am surprised by this too... they hold their value 3 fold better than the petrol counterparts...

The DSG-box is the best box ever.....
Now I`ve had the box for two years, and still feel the same..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Of course it does, any gearbox with the clutch released behave this way....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Here in Santa Cruz, California, diesel is about 15-20 cents cheaper then Premium. Never thought I would see the day. A few months ago, it was still about 15-20 cents more expensive then premium.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Around here, diesel is sort of holding pace with premium.

Not VW, but I heard a dealer ad the other day for phenomenal amounts of money off ona car, then they said 9% interest on loans. WTF!!!!!!!!

·
13,906 Posts
Of course it does, any gearbox with the clutch released behave this way....
well, i wouldn't say that the clutches are released when in drive "gear" and on a hill, but rather the synchronizers have merely disengaged from the forward gears.

it's strange to think that they wouldn't have a one-way roller or sprag clutch to stop it from rolling backwards... that just makes an automatic car far too strange...

imho, that would hurt the sale of the car as it's not what customers are used to, and they would come back thinking "this is broken already, i don't want it"

hell, that's what i thought...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts