Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
My first impression is that this is not a smart move. Very high cost of living (cost of homes). Low unemployment - how's that help VW is they decide to follow with a factory? I'm just not seeing the wisdom of this....

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
My first impression is that this is not a smart move. Very high cost of living (cost of homes). Low unemployment - how's that help VW is they decide to follow with a factory? I'm just not seeing the wisdom of this....
It sounds like their of way to downsize since they expect most workers won't follow the office. Seems like an expensive way to do it though. Often times these decisions are whims of senior management and their spouses, ie. I don't like Auburn Hills because I can't find a decent stylist.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
^^^^ Oh trust me that happens. My last job we moved to Herdon because 75% of senior management lived within 10 minutes of the new building. It happens...oh does it ever.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
^^^^ Oh trust me that happens. My last job we moved to Herdon because 75% of senior management lived within 10 minutes of the new building. It happens...oh does it ever.
Yep, sure does. However the press release will say that the reasons were access to highly skilled labour, blah, blah... Why does Calagary Alberta have the second highest number of head offices in Canada? Answer: lowest taxes. For some reason highly paid senior mgmt doesn't like paying taxes.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
It sounds like their of way to downsize since they expect most workers won't follow the office. Seems like an expensive way to do it though. Often times these decisions are whims of senior management and their spouses, ie. I don't like Auburn Hills because I can't find a decent stylist.
You hit it on the head.

The sad thing is several of my friends will be out of work because of this. Other friends who are expecting to move are freaking out about the cost of housing - their bungalows in the burbs up here cost them about $150K, there they are looking at $400K to start with, plus they have to get rid of a house in Detroit. One friend did the math and decided it would be cheaper to live in Detroit and commute rather than to pull up and move down there.

I wish the Germans would wake up. You can fire people or lay them off here in the US. They could have cleaned out Auburn Hills and reloaded and it would have been much much cheaper.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Do you honestly believe that?
I worked for an organization based here. They got a new CEO from Boston. Within a year, the company broke a brand new lease (that cost some bux), fired everyone (again, more $), and moved to Boston, with it's higher labor costs ($$), higher living costs ($$$). And they got took space in a very high rent district ($$$$). All of this for a company on the knife edge of bankrupcy.

All because the CEO didn't wanna move to Pittsburgh.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
AA...Reach out to me or any one of the NoVa crew if your friends have questions on where to live. It is a different lifestyle here. 10 minute commutes are almost non-existant. For most people, commute time is the hardest change to cope with.
I might just start polishing up my resume!!!

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
^ Makes you wonder what our Governor did to "entice" them to come to VA.....

Maybe NOW, since I can see someone face to face, VWoA will give me my LATCH safety equipment for free.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
From the article

"Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) authorized incentives worth $6 million to lure Volkswagen here, including a $1.5 million cash payment in the next year and $4.5 million over five years, starting in 2011."

I mean our school system, roads, day laborer site, etc etc couldnt have used that money.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
From the article

"Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) authorized incentives worth $6 million to lure Volkswagen here, including a $1.5 million cash payment in the next year and $4.5 million over five years, starting in 2011."

I mean our school system, roads, day laborer site, etc etc couldnt have used that money.
That the ridiculous nonsense that regional governments do to each other. Same thing happens in Canada. Companies know that this happens and they play states/provinces off against each other. In the end, the taxpayer gets screwed. :thumbdown

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I like this quote:

Jacoby added that the company decided as of early 2006 that it wanted to move to the East Coast, where most of its customers are. "You want to work in an environment where you see your customers, where you see your cars on the road," he said. "You don't want to work where you basically see only American cars of the Big Three."
Bwahahahaha! The last thing VWoA headquarters is going to want to see is their customers!

Customer (and NOVA local): Hey, I wanna see Stefan Jacoby about my (pick one: crapped out ABS module, leaking sunroof drains and crapped out CCM, crapped out SAIP, crapped out PCV system, crapped out plastic water pump that ate my timing belt and valves, crapped out sludged engine) and I wanna see him now!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I wish the Germans would wake up. You can fire people or lay them off here in the US. They could have cleaned out Auburn Hills and reloaded and it would have been much much cheaper.
They should have just waited until they decided to build another assembly plant here, set it up in Alabama, the Carolinas, or whereever, and then move the headquarters there. Gut out the existing deadwood out of Auburn Hills, move the productive team members to a more pleasant climate, lower cost of living, and feed off the synergy of the other German plants (MB, BMW).

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I don't get why they moved from a decrepit, overpriced area to....a nicer, but still insanely overpriced area. Nissan moved their HQ (and numerous others moved their mfg facilities) to Sunbelt states where the labor and land were substantially cheaper. Plus, it can be easier to entice your workers to move to sunny locales where they can get nice, new houses with real yards and mild winters.

What's the selling point here? "Come live in an $800k 2BR townhouse! And our winters are still snowy, but not as bad as Detroit! If you're homesick for crackheads and gang violence, DC is a pretty good substitute!" :D

(I keed, I like NoVA...but still seems like an odd choice)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts