Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the hell is wrong with VWOA!?!

My timing belt broke at 72K, even though it had been checked at 40K and was just fine. I have my paperwork in order and submitted it to the dealer (DeMontrond) last Thursday morning. They sent the paperwork to VWOA that morning and VWOA still has not approved the warranty work - instead, they are sending a regional manager out next week to look into it.

1. What the hell are they doing?

2. Do they think it is a good idea to put their customers through this much stress?

3. Has anyone experienced this level of aggravating maneuvering from VWOA before?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is not just a VW thing, everyone does it. Ford is always sending engineers to check out big warranty claims. They have to see that the dealer is not ripping them off, among other things. Dont worry about your situation, if you followed the recommendations, you have nothing to worry about I would think.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Boris said:
Be prepared to show oil changes at the right intervals, otherwise you're SOL.
Amazing how they (VWoA and/or dealers) always try to revert back to that.

"Sorry Mr. Kain, the Tiptronic is sealed for life and you cannot service its oil, but since you were 11.9 miles overdue on your 30k oil change, we are going to deny warranty service for your transmission. Oh, you also owe us $28,593 for a new floor in the shop because your car dripped on it and we had to have it replaced. Let's talk about your rear tire being half a pound low and our VAG tool, shall we?".

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Interval for V6 is 75K as stated by the red sticker located by the driver's headlight under the hood. Dealer's have been known to state 105K replacement, conveniently 5K outside the powertrain warranty.

Regardless, if you have your paperwork in order showing timely maintenance and oil changes you should have nothing to worry about. As mentioned above, VWOA is probably just following procedure to avoid fraudulent claims.

·
Registered
68 Posts
people are catching on ;-) repeat business is way down for VW.

by the way, what the hell do oil changes have to do with a timing belt failure!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think it has to be inspected at 40k and 80k, then replaced at 105k. All three of my VAG cars say this about the belt's inspections.

Since most people sell a car within 3 years, which is less than 40k miles on the old scales, they play the numbers game. If the second owner buys it and the belt breaks at 41k, VW just starts salivating at the prospect of selling a new engine to the unfortunate owner.

The fact that Saturn customers are treated better then the purchaser of a "Premium" VW is irrelevant to them. They figure if you don't buy, they'll just get someone else. As mentioned above, the sales are slipping a little amongst the crowd that has been burned, but there are enough new people that do not know better to fleece. They build good cars, and the styling cannot be beat, but the spin doctors are making sure the coil pack issue is buried. Even though it is not uncommon to be stranded a few times before they actually replace them all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it's unfortunate that VW puts you through all of this even when it is obvious that all the recommended maintenance is performed as mentioned in their documentation. I have sent them all the documentation and they have had more than three days to look it over - the only reason they have not gotten back to me is that they have not found a way to screw me yet. I am going to submit a bill to them for the rental car that is required since they are taking forever to decide on the warranty.

My wife wanted to get one of the new Toureg's, but there is no way we are ever going to buy another VW again. In fact, when this one is sorted out, I will either sell it as is or sell it repaired - either way it will be sold. Now my wife is pushing for a Tahoe, because they have very few problems and are cost-effective and easy to maintain and repair.

On the bright side, this occured soon enough to stop my parents from buying the W8 Passat. Even though it does not use timing belts, the deplorable service I have received has convinced my parents and several of my friends to avoid VW/Audi.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sfrich19 said:
by the way, what the hell do oil changes have to do with a timing belt failure!?!?!?!
All that is happening is that they are trying to find anything to say the car was not maintained properly so they can try to screw me out of some cash. Cool thing is that if it is not covered under warranty, they are not getting anything out of it, because it will not be repaired there!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, as of 12:45pm, VW has decided to fix it under warranty! Apparently, the regional manager is who was taking his sweet time to try and find a way to avoid covering it, but due to good paperwork and an obviously clean motor there was nothing he could do but pay.

I would like to thank everyone that helped with this issue. You know who you are!
I owe you big, but right now all I can afford to do is buy some food and drinks.

·
Banned
373 Posts
sfrich19 said:
people are catching on ;-) repeat business is way down for VW.

Maybe that is why they are trying to rekindle old glory with a new advertising campaign that 'feels' like the 'Drivers Wanted' one.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_755.shtml

Too bad it will just be putting a Band-Aid on the real problem. Piss poor dealers.

Joe

·
Registered
969 Posts
BoostedPassat said:
Well, as of 12:45pm, VW has decided to fix it under warranty! Apparently, the regional manager is who was taking his sweet time to try and find a way to avoid covering it, but due to good paperwork and an obviously clean motor there was nothing he could do but pay.

I would like to thank everyone that helped with this issue. You know who you are!
I owe you big, but right now all I can afford to do is buy some food and drinks.
Good to see that they are taking care of you. :thumbup:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Donuts said:
Too bad it will just be putting a Band-Aid on the real problem. Piss poor dealers.

Joe
Believe what you will, but this one has nothing to do with the dealership in question.

Thanks for running your mouth and pushing it off on the least culpable party in this particular instance.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Sharky said:
Donuts said:

Joe
Believe what you will, but this one has nothing to do with the dealership in question.

Thanks for running your mouth and pushing it off on the least culpable party in this particular instance.
Gee, we aren't just a little jaded, now are we.

Not to start a flamewar here, but I didn't come away with the feeling that he WAS blaming the dealer for this specific problem.

Huh. Odd how two people can come to two completely different conclusions.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
seems like a lot of a headache for a warranty claim. I guess for the price is probably requires a second look. But what creates a repeat customer is good service.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Boris said:
Be prepared to show oil changes at the right intervals, otherwise you're SOL.
huh, what does changing the oil have to do with a timing belt breaking?

The only thing oil changes would affect would be main and rod bearings, valve train, sleeve and rings, oil pump, and turbo. If the engine were to run completely dry of oil then I could see maybe the cams binding up and the belt slipping or breaking but in that case you'd have more problems than just a broken belt.

if a dealer wanted to see oil change records for a broken timing belt I would raise holy hell. as long as there is adequate oil in the sump, even if it's dirty as hell that wouldn't affect the timing belt.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I wish I knew what the outcome was of that issue with the VW dealer who denied a failed water pump claim (which ruined the engine) because the guy didn't have his oil changed at the dealership. That was like a 20 page thread. What was their name? Southshore VW I think?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Boosted,

Isn't it possible you overreacted just a tiny bit? I don't think it is unreasonable for VW USA to want to take a peek at your engine before they authorize the dealer to do a repair costing well north of a grand.

In any case, you posted no less than two additional messages stating that your VW was out the door, and that you were sure that VW was just searching for a way to screw you.

How do you know the "regional mgr. was taking his sweet time to try and find a way to avoid covering it." Could it be possible that he had several cars to look at that morning and yours wasn't the very first on his list?

I just don't get how you came to the conclusion that VW was out to get you just because it took a few days to authorize the repair.

SirWired

1 - 20 of 34 Posts