Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to tip my hat to the VWoA Rep in the Twin Cities. Last Fall I noticed some corrosion on the driver's side door of my 99 GLS. There's no rust anywhere else, so this seemed sort of odd. By Spring, the paint had begun to flake off. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it, and they said that the VWOA Rep had to make the call.

She looked at it and, after telling me how beautiful my car is, she told me that it wasn't covered under the 13 year rust-through warranty. But, she said, go ahead and get a quote for the repair and send it to her. So I did. No one wanted to repair the door. They all wanted to replace it. A reputable local body shop told me that they had a door for me and that they would paint the door and do all the work for $1,000.00. I took the quote back and she said, "How about if we give you a check for $500". I took the money and ran.

So, good job, VWoA. Not too shabby for a 12 year old car with 165K miles on it. :thumbup:

Kenny

Before:

After:

·
Registered
158 Posts
ya i dont see why there not covering it fully in the first place. you said 13 year rust through, you said 12. maybe im not understanding the rust through. Does it mean they onlyreplace if it actually rust right through the metal, not just like that?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for the record, I didn't mention a thing about Passatworld. I doubt it would have mattered. I just represented myself as a customer who had taken good care of my car. I was as surprised as you guys that they came up with some $$$ for me. I suppose they're trying to sustain customer loyalty. They have mine.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I have my chrome pieces going around my car and even Under warranty, they wouldn't cover any cost because "Sir, can you prove you washed and waxed the car with VW approved products?" I answered, "i took the car to the same place where the dealer took it to get it washed. The auto car wash next door".

Wrong answer...

Good job on your $500.00 though. We are just jealous. :)

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
What are these VW approved products?
Sweat directly collected from the VW gods, only in the summer months, once every 10 years druing a summer solstice, and VW approved soap which can only be found by taking an 111 mile long walk through Bolivia where you will have to fight off drug smugglers, slave traders, and wild rabid animals of all kinds. At least that is what my local VW service manager told me...:whistle:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That's great! Glad you got all fixed up! Somehow I doubt I'll have that problem in Oklahoma, but I'm glad they took care of ya...

It is easy to overlook the good stuff VW has been doing lately. Hopefully this is all part of the greater turnaround of VWoA...

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Just for the record, I didn't mention a thing about Passatworld. I doubt it would have mattered. I just represented myself as a customer who had taken good care of my car. I was as surprised as you guys that they came up with some $$$ for me. I suppose they're trying to sustain customer loyalty. They have mine.
There's a rep who knows something about customer service. Write a nice letter to VWOA about her. Tell em she needs to be training their other reps.

$500 is cheap to retain a customer.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I don't think there's anything in the warranty about chrome or 'chrome-appearing' parts. :( As for the rep, I doubt she'll be around very long as they'll ID her as someone that is costing her needless amounts of cash. That kind of bubbling wouldn't be covered on the 'Rust-Through' warranty, there has to be huge gaping holes for that...

·
Registered
176 Posts
wow, that actually nice of them, my dealer would have charged me $500 just to look at it. $99 for inspecting car and $400 in paperwork fees...

·
wants you to raise up your car.
4,329 Posts
Hey Kenny, what exact person did you talk to and what dealer? Because I've got some rust on my roof that I'd like to repair but got quotes for $600 and such for it...wonder if I could do this same thing with mine and see if I can get any cash out of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts