Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 GLX started "belching" recently. Actually it was backfiring rarely. I figured that something HAD to be hosed and more than just bad gas.

At 40K service they replaced the ignition coils because they were "arcing". All seemed well until a few weeks ago.

At just under 42K miles I took it in and they determined that my plug wires showed carbon tracking (they were arcing too). Well, wires aren't covered under warranty they tell me. Two years old and dead wires? Come on.

Called up VWoA and told them my situation and told them that I felt that the malfunctioning coils toasted my wires. They made a call to my dealership and within the hour my dealership called me and informed me that it was covered under warranty!! :eek:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! :D

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
Nice. The wires for the V6 do seem to wear out quickly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
forgive me if im confused but glx v6 dont have coilpacks. they have ignition wires.

and yes the stock ignition wires are CRAP. mine started failing on my 2003 glx v6 30valve engine at 7500miles. but the stealership only replaced one ignition wire that had failed. in my case #2 wire. and the funny part the stealership put a #3 ignition wire to replace the #2 ignition wire. so now i have 2 #3 ignition wires. I know the only difference on the wires are the length but when the dealer tries to give excuses of why they did that i told them to go blow smoke to some other honest paying VW owner.

Now i have notified VWOA and am waiting for my stealership to contact me back like VW of America told me they would. as of now my stealership has not called me back.

WHY PAY FOR A GERMAN CAR IF THE DEALER SERVICE DONT GIVE A SHIT!

for the Price of this peace of shit i rather would have spent it on a 350Z and had some excitement in my life!!!!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Ganx14, maybe you need to call VWoA and tell them about *your* dealer....

My 2 Orange County dealers, Capistrano VW and Fladeboe have both been giving excellent service for about the last 18 months (since the new "makeover").

·
Registered
871 Posts
Der Meister said:
Ganx14, maybe you need to call VWoA and tell them about *your* dealer....

My 2 Orange County dealers, Capistrano VW and Fladeboe have both been giving excellent service for about the last 18 months (since the new "makeover").
Same comment here. When new guy comes in he right away sees how horrible VW treats customers. I've never had a bad experience with VW dealers (except for sales person in Van Nuys one, but I've never been there since). The only issue with service I had was in Woodland Hills, when it was changing ownership twice a month for about months. But once stable owner appeared there I've had nothing but good experience. I think that opinion about dealerships is build on the fact that you only see complains and rarely positive comments.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i called VWoA and explained to them what my Dealer did with the ignition wire replacement. they were stumped...

my receipt from the job was as follows.
Cust concern the check engine light is on.
cause: Misfiring.
58232021 replace 1 spark plug wire
9970 wfv 0.50
1 - 078-905-533-B Cable

01290021 VAS 5051/5052 Fault Finding Diagnosis
9970 wfv 0.20

01310062 SET Readiness Code
9970 wfv 0.50
FC: 0131400032

Inspected Faults and found Misfires. Tested Cyl Inders and found Cyl#2 wire Faulty - replaced and Test Drove. Functioning to factory specs.

Only reason i noticed the ignition wire was a #3 on the #2 cyl was because the Dealer didnt install the Plastic cover properly after job was completed. I had to re-attach the cover and by doing that i noticed 2 # 3 ignition wires.

VWoA assures me that my dealer will call me within two days. this was monday when i got a call from VWoA as a follow up. As of Thursday evening no phone call from my dealer.

In my opinion they can give two shits about people. all they care about is taking our money. I always pay my lease ontime. all i ask from VW is to provide me with the service i pay for. NOT this bullshit. Putting a #3 ignition wire in #2 cyl is not setting to Manufacture Specs or Settings. Its a Stealership trying to be Cheap and get away with it hoping the custumers never notice...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
In my opinion they can give two shits about people. all they care about is taking our money. I always pay my lease ontime. all i ask from VW is to provide me with the service i pay for. NOT this bullshit. Putting a #3 ignition wire in #2 cyl is not setting to Manufacture Specs or Settings. Its a Stealership trying to be Cheap and get away with it hoping the custumers never notice...
Dude have a :beer: . If this is all it takes to get you in an uproar about subpar service, I'd hate to see it when you go in for a slipped timing belt to only had this same dealer has for documentation of all the oil changes you have done yourself.

Want a quick solution to the problem? You already admitted the ignition wires suck. Go buy some beefier replacement ones and put them on yourself. Or go the parts counter and get the #2 wire. Replace your old #3 with the new #3. Put the new #2 on the car. When you are done, have another :beer: .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ganx14 said:
forgive me if im confused but glx v6 dont have coilpacks. they have ignition wires.
They don't have coil pack on each plug like the 1.8T, but they have a central coil assembly that distributes to each plug. That is what was replaced.

Also of note.....they told me that they can't replace ONE wire, that they are sold ONLY as a SET! :crazy:

·
Registered
168 Posts
hehe thats interesting. my dealer says they cant replace all the wires. they can only replace the one that failed. seems that it all depends on the dealer... even with the one wire replaced i still get those nasty hesitations

I voice my concerns because if you dont speak up they will walk over you and not stand by the warrenty. if you are on top of their sloppy work then you have a chance to get your issues resolved. saying nothing and paying out of pocket is exactly what they want...

Since we all pay for it on our bottom line i will continue to complain. I buy brand new not only for the car but for the service and warrenty... dont let anyone ever walk over you!!! let them know who is boss!

·
Registered
752 Posts
That is how you have to do it...I hear about that crap all the time. Don't get the answer you like? Call someone...then someone and so on....Nice job! :thumbup: Wires not under warranty is BS too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
cbx
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing