Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Passat Wagon 6 cylinder tiptronic, 114,000 miles. Car won't lock with fob and even with key-in-door occasionally won't activate alarm. This has been an issue for over a year.

Yesterday's morning compute ended before it started when the car would not.

Would not turn over, no noise of any kind from the starter. I had a CEL, EPC and battery warning light.

Interior lights and sunroof inoperable. I have exterior lights, radio, dashboard. Battery was fully charged.

All fuses (including #6 & 14) are good, I checked several times. I touched relay #53 (slot #13) and it felt like it was activating. I don't have a relay in #12 position.

The wire braid from the solonoid to starter looks and feels great. At the power cable into the starter I have battery voltage.

At the power cable on the bayonet lug into the solenoid there are NO volts at any time (key in OFF, ACC or Start position).

I VagComeed, and got codes:

16684-Random Cylinder Misfire

166870-Cylinder 3 misfire

16690-Cylinder 6 misfire

17831-Secondary Air Inject Bank A-Insufficient flow

17819-Secondary Air Inject Bank B-Insufficient flow

17521-Oxygen (Lambda) sensor B1, S1-Internal resistance too high.

Sooooo......

I didn't try to bypass relay #13. Would doing so prove anything?

Is lack of interior lighting & sunroof, BUT good fuses all across the board significant? They means a short in the wiring to or from the fuse?

Do I need to check the actual ignition switch? Now that I'm typing this, seems like I do, but doesn't the relay #13 working prove the switch is good (BUT have I really proven #13 is good just because it "felt" like it was working?)

What else can I try?

Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So if I'm having problems related to the comfort system (no interior lights, no sunroof) but the fuse controlling this (#6 & 14) are both good, can I assume the comfort system computer (under the drivers feet) is the problem? It's broken, and stopping the car from cranking?
Yet I get no error codes on VagCom....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On VagCom, address 46 is “Central Conv.”

My Vag can’t read this address.
Does this indiciate my central conveinence system has an issue?

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
Not sure what relay 53 is, but I would not trust touching it to say it's good. Relays can be pitted enough that they still move but do not carry enough current to work.

I have had a bad CCM cause a no start, but it had water intrusion and stomping on the floor allowed the car to start (no idea why as there was several inches of water in the rear seat).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled my drivers side carpet up. The insulation is damp and the wire wrap around the wiring harness leading to the computer is damp and skanky looking.

Opened the box for the computer- clean and dry inside. Looks like new.

Pulling the wiring harness apart looking for bad wires.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inside the skanky harness: all the factory splices were damp with one set of clearly broken wires; one wire splice that broke easily as I manipulated it; a couple more splices that I pulled apart but which look good still.
Re-soldering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Splices resoldiered and reinsulated.
Key in and .…ignition.
Car starts.
Buttoning it all back up. Carpet will remain up to dry.

I was aware of the issue with the moonroof drain and thought I’d been keeping it clean. This must have been spilled beer or overflow from the upstairs neighbors bathtub or cat pee or something.

Thanks all. It’s been a blast! 😀

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
glad to hear you got it!!!! four drains in sunroof but an often overlooked area is door drains, an overwhelming rain will flood doors if little vent/drain slits in bottom or doors are clogged then water flows into carpet ,happens in rear also

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
glad to hear you got it!!!! four drains in sunroof but an often overlooked area is door drains, an overwhelming rain will flood doors if little vent/drain slits in bottom or doors are clogged then water flows into carpet ,happens in rear also
Very true. My TCM was almost ducked up because of water ingestion from the front passenger door.

I had taken care of the roof drains and the fresh air intake duct. Still had water.
Further investigation ; the doors were leaking. (Second pic)

I cleaned and siliconed all four doors.

Now my B5.5 is amphibious lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
Also if you don't use winter mats or have bad ones, all the water from the snow on your boots ends up there.
What are winter mats and snow? :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts