Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Volkswagen will unveil its midengine roadster concept at the Detroit auto show in January, not the Los Angeles auto show later this month.

Why the change? VW expects the roadster will attract more interest at the Detroit show, a company spokesman told Automotive News Europe.

The roadster concept previews a production car that VW plans to launch in 2011 as an image booster.

The car will be based on an advanced version of the platform that underpins the Audi R8, according to the report.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081110/FREE/811109995

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The question now is whether the mid-engine roadster (VW MR2???) will compete with the MX-5/Solstice/Sky or go upmarket. Given Porsche's interest in VW, I'd have to think it would aim for the sub-$30k market.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
The question now is whether the mid-engine roadster (VW MR2???) will compete with the MX-5/Solstice/Sky or go upmarket. Given Porsche's interest in VW, I'd have to think it would aim for the sub-$30k market.
Well, based on this
based on an advanced version of the platform that underpins the Audi R8
I'm sure it will be above the $50K mark. So VW gets a mid-engine R8 based roadster and Audi gets the TT? What's up with that?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, based on this

I'm sure it will be above the $50K mark. So VW gets a mid-engine R8 based roadster and Audi gets the TT? What's up with that?
Bah, VW is always getting the last pickings of the bunch. Just because we Vdubbers aren't as "trendy" or "cool" as the more expensive siblings. :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is awesome.

Good reason to actually attend the VW Press conference at NAIAS in January.

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
Well, based on this

Coming from almost a decade with MR2s, I'd rather have the VW Roadster over the Audi TT.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Volkswagen will unveil its midengine roadster concept at the Detroit auto show in January, not the Los Angeles auto show later this month.

Why the change? VW expects the roadster will attract more interest at the Detroit show, a company spokesman told Automotive News Europe.
Because you know how popular roadsters are in Detroit. And how popular european cars are in Detroit, too.
Makes sense to delay the unveiling.:mad:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Because you know how popular roadsters are in Detroit. And how popular european cars are in Detroit, too.
Makes sense to delay the unveiling.:mad:
I agree with your points, but you have to look at it in the eyes of marketing and media.

LA is a nice show and somewhat large, but Pales to Detroit in regards to media participation and somewhat in regards to it's importance in the world automotive show circuit.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I agree with your points, but you have to look at it in the eyes of marketing and media.

LA is a nice show and somewhat large, but Pales to Detroit in regards to media participation and somewhat in regards to it's importance in the world automotive show circuit.
The car still could be highlighted at the Detroit show for VW.
The people who are going to be interested in buying this car in the USA are in California. It will still get the same publicity when it shows in Detroit next year. California is the car capital of the USA. I guess VW wants everyone losing their jobs in Detroit to drool over this car they would never want to have.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The car still could be highlighted at the Detroit show for VW.
The people who are going to be interested in buying this car in the USA are in California. It will still get the same publicity when it shows in Detroit next year. California is the car capital of the USA. I guess VW wants everyone losing their jobs in Detroit to drool over this car they would never want to have.
You have to look past who lives near the show, and more at the show itself.

Have you ever been to Chicago or the Twin Cities area during the summer? Convertibles actually sell really well up here, especially those equipped with hard tops, or folding hard tops (part of why companies like Volvo, VW, Chrysler, etc.. build them).

Regardless,

More buyers may be located in the LA area, but more media is going to be at Detroit (if history holds true). LA is slowly chipping away at Detroit's numbers, but currently NAIAS is still a larger event. I would personally rather attend the media preview at LA (as opposed to Detroit), however it isn't as cost effective for me to work freelance at that event, due to the smaller number of world introductions.

Look at the numbers

World premiers expected for LA this year 20+

World premiers expected for Detroit this year - 44+ (it is still early), and 14 North American first showings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts