·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for little off-topic, but think it's worth while

Text taken from www.autoexpress.co.uk:

Wednesday 3rd September 2003

Roadster Heralds VW Revolution

Who said Volkswagen makes predictable cars? Feast your eyes on the stunning new Concept R, set to take next week's Frankfurt Motor Show by storm.

Charged with leading a style and technology revolution within the company, the mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive machine aims to prove there is more to the German firm than reliability and practicality. Targeting the likes of the Porsche Boxster and BMW Z4, the VW roadster will be unveiled by new design boss Murat Gunak along with the man responsible for its styling, Peter Shreyer.

The existence of a Volkswagen-badged roadster has been a cause of much debate over the last 12 months. In fact, Auto Express first reported on it in issue 711, and again in issue 752. Speculation at the time suggested that the car could be based on a bespoke spaceframe chassis and feature a wide range of powerful petrol and diesel engines. Insiders close to the project described how the firm was working hard to bring the newcomer's weight down - even calling on the expertise of Lotus Engineering to help design a super-light suspension system.

Today, Volkswagen remains tight-lipped about the exact nature of the car's structure, but has offered a sneak preview of some of the amazing technology that will feature on the machine. Powered by a 265bhp version of the 3.2-litre V6 found in the Golf, the roadster is light enough to cover the sprint from 0-60mph in only 5.3 seconds. The top speed is electronically limited to 155mph, but the firm claims the car has the potential to hit nearly 170mph.

Officially, the company will only say that the two-seater hints at how VWs of the future could look. However, in an interview given at the unveiling of the new Golf last month, Gunak told us: "Volkswagen concepts will no longer be fanciful dreams. Unlike show models such as the W12 supercar, we intend to turn our future ideas into reality."
Reading through the Concept R's technical specification, that could prove a serious challenge. For starters, the roadster features a revolutionary fixed seating system. To adjust the driving position and get comfortable, owners need to alter the position of the steering wheel, instruments and pedals, rather than slide the seats forward or back.

The cockpit features hi-tech electronics and digital displays that include cabin temperature readouts and controls built into the air vents, as well as a set of fibre-optic instruments showing speed, fluid temperatures and sat-nav functions. And because the displays are more like TV screens than conventional instruments, they have a multi-functional role and allow drivers to choose exactly what information they want to look at.

The steering wheel also features a special fibre-optic screen that displays a digital version of the VW logo which pulsates gently when the car is switched off. As soon as the engine spins into life, the pulsing stops. The high quality of the graphics means that, even though the logo is digitally generated, it looks as though it is actually made of chrome.

There's no firm date for the launch of the Concept R, but insiders have suggested it could arrive in late 2005. Dan Strong

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Damn!!! Please don't show this to my daughter...I'll need to sell her brother...anyone want/need a good used son? :lol: I'd really like to see this come about...I like it and would consider one...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The design is coming along nicely since I posted the early images several months ago.
I was pretty surprised to see this story on CNN today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts