Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I did something really stupid. I was putting a package in the trunk of my Passat and on a whim I thought I'd go ahead a open it. The perfect thing to slice through the celophane is my switchblade which I used and promptly set down. I then close the trunk, leaving the key in the trunk. The car is locked, key in the trunk.

Called the local VW dealer, how do I get in or who should I call? The tell me to call roadside assistance and give me the number. On the positive side, it only took her three times to give me the number correctly :crazy:

VW says no prob, people on the way. My first clue that things were not OK might have been AAA's wrecked and bondo clad truck, but hey its his job to open cars right? Slim jim fails, punching the unlock botton fails, guy says he can't open the car. I call back VW, I ask why would you send out someone with a slim jim and a hanger for a car you know can't be opened that way? They send out someone else, to try the same thing. Doesn't work. They send a flat bed to haul it to the dealership, he leaves because he thinks he'll break the car if he hauls it in park onto the truck. They say they'll send a locksmith. It only took him three hours to arrive. VW calls as he arrives to tell me oh by the way, we don't cover locksmiths. You'll have to have it towed to the dealer who will need to order a key which takes a week. They don't cover the key either.

Lucky for me the locksmith was competent, before I finished talking with the VW guy, the locksmith realizes the sunroof is cracked, reaches in with a long rod to pull on the inside door handle opening the door.

In the end, it only took us 4 hours to figure out that all you had to do was pull on the door handle.

Damnit I'm a moron....but I'm not alone :p

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hey at least AAA didn't drop your car off of a jack like they did mine :mad: Luckily I got away with only $90 in damages that I had to pay out of pocket (the guy later lied and they believed his story over mine).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't mentioned it, but I locked my keys in the car on delivery day, a week ago. :oops:

Customer Service guy was going over a few things and had to leave the table we were at, so I decided to get some paper work out of the wagon cargo area with the new keys, all connected. I was just catching on where to shut the hatch lid, where to grab it. I wasn't shutting it completely, so he arrives and shows me how to grab the inside hand and then the vw badge and push. It shut and locked up. I then realized all the keys were inside. I immediately thought of scratches and broken windows, but hoped they had a magic key.

They came out with a couple platic wedges and a long quarter inch bendable wire thingy covered with plastic or rubber. They pull on the door jam enough to get the wedges in place so the bendable shim object can get threw the weather stripping to reach the door handle an pull---it all took a few minutes. I have some scuff marks and and some inside paint missing to remind me of the day. You've got to think the door had to flex a little, and it might have, but you can't really tell. I've got to find some black touch-up, and maybe some primer, for the door jam edge. I'm afraid that's will be the first spot to rust. Should be fine when I do that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
geon said:
I haven't mentioned it, but I locked my keys in the car on delivery day, a week ago. :oops:

They came out with a couple platic wedges and a long quarter inch bendable wire thingy covered with plastic or rubber. They pull on the door jam enough to get the wedges in place so the bendable shim object can get threw the weather stripping to reach the door handle an pull---it all took a few minutes. I have some scuff marks and and some inside paint missing to remind me of the day. You've got to think the door had to flex a little, and it might have, but you can't really tell. I've got to find some black touch-up, and maybe some primer, for the door jam edge. I'm afraid that's will be the first spot to rust. Should be fine when I do that.
They did this to mine, even though the sunroof was open. I ended up with a few scratches. Now everytime I look at the doors (they did both sides) I look to see if the seams match right, or if maybe the door is bent.

Mine should have only taken a minute, but neither of the AAA guys nor I realized we should just pull on the door handle.... :oops:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.