Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my winter tires with the OEM 15" Continentals. So, I asked the guy who did the change over for me, what pressure he put in the tire. He says 35psi. I said, that I'd have to let some air out. Then he goes on to tell me about the Ford Explorer and Firestone blowout issue and how Ford knew that they had a rollover problem. Ford addressed the issue by reducing the recommended tire pressure in order to lower the body height. Anyway, so I drive away and figure I'll give the car a try before I reduce the tire pressure. What a difference that 35psi has made to the responsiveness! Now it finally feels like a car that handles well! My car is completely stock, too. I was absolutely blown-away by the difference. No more wallowing in corners or across ruts in the road. For those of you who would like a better handling car, but can't afford the suspension or wheel upgrades try this. You too will be surprised. 8)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The VW-recommended 28psi (for my exact model) is insane. I can't even do 32psi (at least, I couldn't on the stock Michelins without squealing everywhere). Tend to go with 35-36psi, and the wear seems to end up pretty even (or if anything, still wearing a bit more on the outside, could be my driving habits, though :lol: ).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Go with the higher pressure

On my '00 1.8 Variant, the plate recommends different pressures for high-speed (100+ mph) driving. Going to those numbers (oddly, higher in the back than the front) made a dramatic difference with the stock size tires and 15" wheels. A decent fix and essentially free!

That said, when I used the same with 16" rims and higher-perfromance tires, the ride became *noticably* harsher.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
2KT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing