Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know this is a B5 website but many of us are VW enthusiast from many platforms. I was scanning the local dealers around home today and ran across this......an R32 ON SALE. I don't get it either but hey If you're looking.

·
Registered
811 Posts
genxnympho said:
I know I know this is a B5 website but many of us are VW enthusiast from many platforms. I was scanning the local dealers around home today and ran across this......an R32 ON SALE. I don't get it either but hey If you're looking.[/quote]

I picked up a Tornado Red w/ leather on Saturday. $28,521 plus TTL. That's $750 over invoice less $500 Owners Loyalty.

There may be a black one available at this Houston dealer, but no guarantee on the price. They wanted to move the Red one.

Don't even start with the WRX/STI/Evo comments. Drive one, you will understand.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
we don't get R32's in canada :(

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
its on sale because very few people are willing to pay 30 grand for a GTI same arguement could probably be made for the STi and Lancer on a smaller scale. The unimpressive performance #s have scared consumers away along with VW's unwillingness to advertise it...it wasn't even on VW's website until weeks after its US release to the public.

·
Registered
811 Posts
its on sale because very few people are willing to pay 30 grand for a GTI
Is is not a GTI, please do some research

The unimpressive performance #s have scared consumers away
Seems a bit low, but 174 at the wheels ain't bad for AWD

Subarus have greater AWD drvietain loss, btw. The torque curve is awesome, as is the grin factor.

It is about balance, handling, satability, AWD, fine German workmanship, and above all, a wicked exhaust note.

As I said, drive one and you will understand. :)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I'm pretty sure he meant tested acceleration numbers.. Now tell me the problem is that all the magazines are being paid off by Subaru and Mitsubishi and hate VW. Or my second favorite - that the Japanese makes keep sending them ringers :D

P.S., I can show you dynos of a stock WRX (claimed 227hp) putting down more than 174awhp. I can also show them putting down less than 150awhp. Who cares? Estimating drivetrain loss is not the job of a chassis dyno.

Anyways, I don't think you're going to win many bench races involving this car if base the parameters purely on performance. That's not what it's about.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i have a very large video file of a tricked out r32 if someone wants to host. with some mods it can be an awesome car

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
i have a very large video file of a tricked out r32 if someone wants to host. with some mods it can be an awesome car
with some mods any car can be an awesome car

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I would drive any German car over a japanese piece of crap... I am not interested in performance numbers, the R32 is an amazing car by any standard... if it only has 174 HP, then so be it. Its the German experiance, not the HP. The Passat radio commercials put it beautifully, Germans are obsessed with road feel.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
my dealer has two on the lot.
They don't even get much interest. VW or not, it IS a 5 year old car, due for replacement soon. And after two previous special edition GTI's, a 30K option just isn't going to sell. They should have done the R32 FIRST, with the others as less expensive editions.
Three of the folks that came in interested in an R32 drove out in 9-3's, BTW.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
If the Germans are obsessed with road feel, I'm a little concerned that VW's current design and engineering staff have been replaced by aliens :nervous: Then we could go on about the current crop of Mercs and BMWs, too.

Frankly only an advertisement could claim that the Germans are even remotely concerned with "road feel." I don't know how it happened but it seems like the German designers are turning Japanese and the Japanese engineers are turning German. I know who got the better end of that deal!

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
I think it would of been more cost effective to come out with a 4Mo GTI with the K04 and a few other mods to keep it well under 30K.

I will say that I have driven one, as well as the WRX (no STi), and the car is much more then what's on paper. The same reason I bought a Passat over a TL or Maxima, I would buy the R32 over a Lancer or STi. The car just "feels" better. If you just care about acceleration why not get a Neon SRT?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Postman said:
I think it would of been more cost effective to come out with a 4Mo GTI with the K04 and a few other mods to keep it well under 30K.
yes, my thoughts exactly. Would love to see basically a 225hp TT in GTI or Jetta clothing (and a K04 would not hurt :) ).

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Postman said:
I will say that I have driven one, as well as the WRX (no STi), and the car is much more then what's on paper. The same reason I bought a Passat over a TL or Maxima, I would buy the R32 over a Lancer or STi. The car just "feels" better. If you just care about acceleration why not get a Neon SRT?
If you got the impression that the WRX was just about acceleration, I'm not sure you drove it right :) Where the WRX/Evo shine is driver feedback. Something VW's engineer's haven't been able to figure out in quite some time. Not a showstopper since most US buyers don't want driver feedback. They want to be able to travel at 100mph without even knowing they're in a car.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Macabre said:
Postman said:
If you got the impression that the WRX was just about acceleration, I'm not sure you drove it right :) Where the WRX/Evo shine is driver feedback. Something VW's engineer's haven't been able to figure out in quite some time. Not a showstopper since most US buyers don't want driver feedback. They want to be able to travel at 100mph without even knowing they're in a car.
so true!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

-Nick

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Macabre said:
Postman said:
I agree. I have slid Imprezas sideways at over 100MPH actually! I've owned two (pre-WRX) and a Legacy. I love Subrau handling.

My point was the refinement (NVH) and comfort of everyday use. The R32 is a much better freeway car for the real world commute. I think Subaru bests VW in steering feel and their AWD system. I haven't driven the WRX long enough to know, but the seats in all my Subarus made it impossible for me to sit in them for more then 2 hours. I don't think they have improved much (other then better side support) I'm sure the Koenig seats in the R32 are much better.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Stats said:
its on sale because very few people are willing to pay 30 grand for a GTI
Is is not a GTI, please do some research
Sorry, but to 99.8% of the world, it's just a GTi. Yeah, it's got gobs more power & AWD, but it's still a MkIv GTi. mOK, maybe not GOBS of HP, but enough for most people. ...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The r32 is not an average car. I read that many of you would like to see a ko4 4motion golf or jetta with some other mods, but except for the 4 motion part, they are all over the place, the r32 distinguishes itself. I would buy one in a second if I was ready to buy a new car.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Macabre said:
Postman said:
Spoken like a true proponent and owner of a WRX... :wink: The WRX doesn't exactly have excellent feedback, it's good, but there are obviously cars that are better or equal. One car within it's price range with good feedback that comes to mind is the RSX, though, then you're comparing FWD to AWD. While the WRX gives you excellent all-around performance, you give up a good amount in terms of luxury touches/features and fit and finish. However, those things aren't too important to some consumers. I will note, though, that you can now get seat heaters in the WRX now... :wink:

The R32, for roughly $3-4,000 more than a top of the line WRX, gives you climate control, trip computer, Monsoon stereo, 18" wheels, performance tires, rain sensing wipers, 1 more gear (6 speed vs. the WRX's 5), the smooth linear power delivery of a N/A V6, plus one feature you can't put a price on: Exclusivity and not seeing a copy of your car every few miles (at least in the USA).

Different cars for different folks, each has it's own mission and each has good points and bad points. Each consumer has to decide for themselves which car fits them best, it's not as cut and dry as saying one is better than the other, it depends on the category... :wink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
19 Participants
Cadet X
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing