Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am not an impartial person to be making critiques of my GTi as most of you know I am in the middle of litigation not related to the mechanics of my car.

This being said when this whole issue started I really did love my car, however over the past few months I have become increasingly frustrated with it for having little issues that if for nothing else annoy the hell out of you.

Having owned a Z28 I am aware of what rattles are and therefore I was surprised to find that once it got colder here the car really started to rattle badly. It creaks, groans and rattles so much you literally have to turn the radio up not to hear it. Speaking of turning the radio up that leads me to the next problem. You see if you are deaf this car is probably ideal for you. But everytime I come to a normal stop in my car the brakes squeek very loudly. I have had it to the dealer and they tell me this is normal for disc brake cars. Having owned 9 cars with disc brakes alot of them to a higher performance level then this GTi and none of them squeeking like this I really question their analysis on it. I can understand some noise when the rotors are wet or the car sits but this is constant.

Another problem I've been having is that the rear seat on the drivers side pulls out of its latching mechanism and then refuses to latch again without going back to the dealer its been there twice for that problem alone.

I suppose this is a vent more then anything else but my passat didnt have near the stupid issues this car has. As I said this isn't an impartial opinion as I have my own bitterness associated with this car...but I guess my point is considering VW tries to play the role of the "higher quality" car company I'd like to know where the quality is.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sharky said:
Tee hee hee!

And to think people jump all over me for saying anything at all other than "VW Rulz!!!!"
your opinions are dead on...your presentation is rough sometimes :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
99 1.8T with 139k miles, no squeaks or rattles (even at -11 after sitting outside all night), hardly anything more than routine and preventive maintenance. i cannot complain.

i am not a card carrying member of the "VW Rulz" party, but i have been happy thus far.

but then again, my car was made in germany, not mexico or brazil!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
curtis13 said:
that may be more then folklore because my passat was a germany built car...and i loved it this gti is a brazil car

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Read the toureq forum over on vortex for some real horror stories.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I can say my passat squeaks some but I did it with 1BE springs and bilsteins. But I have/had trouble with two leaking valve cover gaskets, a transmission losing fluid that no one can find, an ABS controller @ 69k, cheap vacuum hoses/clamps, and a slight movement in the front end that I don't even want to look at (control arms anyone?). Not to mention a dealer experience that makes me wish for my Chevy dealer again. And for this I paid more than for than a comparable Asian vehicle?

I truly, truly love the car because the interior looks great, it rides & handles very well and it's fun to drive but I won't even risk taking it beyond the 100k warranty.

What's VW doing? They had a great thing and seem to want to run it into the ground. Did Lopez take GM quality with him when he took off for Europe?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Iv noticed that every manufacturer is touting how their respective “new” and “improved” model is replacing the old. Im actually kind of amazed as to how they go on and on about the “stiffer” floor/bodies and other structural improvements. Im sure you have all read about them… 30 to 40 to even 60% structurally stiffer than the outgoing model. Like clockwork, their comes a time when they all begin to rattle, creak moan and groan. Forget what happens in the winter… especially the recent cold we’ve had here… :cry:

My first VW was a 1988 Jetta… I guess that’s when VW was in financial despair… everything about that car is cheap… from materials to build quality. I still own this car, its had NO power-train failures other than routine wear-tear items. As of this writing, I guestimate its got about 300k and it runs like a champ. The interior pieces that remain are glued together. However, the body is intact and rust free. A lot to be said for a car that’s lived its life in the northeast… out doors!

My second VW was a 99 1.8 GLS. Although I owned the car for 18 months/12k miles, it was trouble free and built very well. No rattles, squeaks or anything. As far as the powertrain, the water pump leaked @ 7.5k. It was replaced under warranty.

My third VW was a 01.5 GLX. I still miss that car, it was the most beautiful color combination for a Passat… IMHO. This one I held on to for 2 years and 14k. No powertrain problems. This one didn’t feel as “solid” as the 99… This I contribute to the leather interior which is a poor noise isolator.

My fourth VW is a 03 A4. Those who “don’t know much” about automobiles tell me what a “beautiful” car I have and Audi is such a nice car company… IMHO… it’s a glorified VW. After 10 months and 9k miles its no better or worse than the 99 and 01.5 Iv owned.

Considering the $$$ and build quality of a VW, there is nothing on the market that can match it.. IMHO.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sales are down across the board, I wouldn't look too deep into that report. over the past 5 years VW sales have been up 150%, and when the Beetle fad is pronounced dead, or the next new camaccord comes out, it'll go back down, that's how VW has always been, extremely popular, then not at all, I'm on my 11th VW now over 9 years and 500,000 miles of driving, and I'll never switch. every company has down times and problems.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
My two dubs are as perfect as can be. No problems in any of them, even in a 200,000km Golf which was made in Mexico. I even recieve good service! When I went to a car show and sat in various other cars, I could imagine in being in a different cars than I am now. The interior is solid and pratical, with no rattling of any sort. I guess you received one of the "bad" ones...

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Jblough389 said:
Sales are down across the board, I wouldn't look too deep into that report. /quote]

Not true. Only down for companies with quality and service problems like VW, MB and BMW. Companies with great service and quality products are doing quite well., For instance, Lexus sales are up 11% and Infinity is up 9.5%.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
duandcc said:
Jblough389 said:
Sales are down across the board, I wouldn't look too deep into that report. /quote]

Not true. Only down for companies with quality and service problems like VW, MB and BMW. Companies with great service and quality products are doing quite well., For instance, Lexus sales are up 11% and Infinity is up 9.5%.
Saab was up 27% for the year. Sure, they only sold a TOTAL of 49,000 for the year, but 27% is substantial in anybody's book.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
curtis13 said:
99 1.8T with 139k miles, no squeaks or rattles (even at -11 after sitting outside all night), hardly anything more than routine and preventive maintenance. i cannot complain.

i am not a card carrying member of the "VW Rulz" party, but i have been happy thus far.

103k and on the same page....the scary thing though....I haven;t really done too much maintnance...... :oops:

Not sure if Brazil, Mexico....or Germany has anything to do with it but I think that its just a matter of luck.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'd say luck. My wife's 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T Tip (180hp version) has been 100% flawless, not a single unscheduled trip to the dealer. But we all know that this is NOT the case for most Mk IV Jettsas/Golfs/GTIs/NBs...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sharky said:
Tee hee hee!

And to think people jump all over me for saying anything at all other than "VW Rulz!!!!"
It's because you often imply not just that the cars are crap, but that we are idiots for owning a VW, and mostly enjoying them (heaven forbid). Otherwise you are often not too far off... :wink:

Back to the subject:
My '02 GTI (gone after 9 months) was made in Brazil and there was a noticeable difference in build quality compared to my '03 Passat.

Paint had significantly more orange peel. The passenger-side door had to be worked on by a body shop to fix the abnormal curve at the top that prevented easy closing. The front rotors warped and had to be replaced before 1K miles. Body panel fit was nowhere near as good.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as of today 6 months of ownership, 6400 miles my car suffered 3 failures of latches today. The passenger door latch failed, the hood latch broke, and the rear folding seat has come off track and the latch will not clamp yet again....not to mention the loud squeeky brakes....the dealer will be getting the car again monday...i am so sick of this thing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
Z28Driver
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing