Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW outlines U.S. product offensive - VW of America says it plans to launch nine new models or variants in the United States within the next two years. On tap near term is the Passat 1.8T 4Motion, which debuts in the first quarter and marks the latest move to grow all-wheel drive into a larger share of VW’s U.S. volume. Closely following in the second quarter will be the Jetta GLI, the Touareg V-10 TDI and the Passat TDI. The Jetta GLI will offer a special-equipment package, as the model enters its final months before the next generation debuts. The Touareg TDI will provide VW’s SUV with a power-rich competitor to take on the high-end versions of the BMW X5 and the Porsche Cayenne. The Passat TDI rounds out VW’s plans to bring diesel powertrains to the masses. Beyond 2004, VW will roll out an all-new Jetta sedan to the United States in March 2005, with an all-new Passat sedan expected to follow in September 2005. VW sources confirm there are no plans to bring a W8 Passat to the U.S. market with the introduction of the next-generation car. The next-generation GTI will round out VW’s 2005 product plans, when it launches in October. VW will introduce its new Passat wagon to U.S. buyers in February 2006, with the new Golf rounding out the product offensive in May 2006. The Microbus, however, remains under development, although an exact introduction date for the United States is unclear.
(WardsAuto.com, Feb. 25)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
well lets face it the TDI vehicles appeal to a limited market and will demand a premium. The jetta GLi is essentially a 337/20th Anniversary Edition GTi in Jetta form. The new GTI and golf are ugly and at this point I have to agree if VW gets much more late to the punch they may be down and out

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
9 new models? I'm I don't think they can count. I count 4 new Models.

1. New Passat (PQ45)
2. New Golf (A5)
3. New Jetta (A5)
4. New GTI (A5)

The rest are just trim levels of existing cars, not new models. That's like saying that the Passat GL, GLS and GLX are different models. :poke:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Z28Driver said:
well lets face it the TDI vehicles appeal to a limited market and will demand a premium. The jetta GLi is essentially a 337/20th Anniversary Edition GTi in Jetta form. The new GTI and golf are ugly and at this point I have to agree if VW gets much more late to the punch they may be down and out

I totally agree...
I think they need some youth in their engineering department...
Or at least some fresh blood. All they've been doing are make over's to their existing models...
That's why I'm doing the 86 modd'd GTi thing... w/ current engine swaps and yada yada yada...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
duandcc said:

1. New Passat (PQ45)
2. New Golf (A5)
3. New Jetta (A5)
4. New GTI (A5)

The rest are just trim levels of existing cars, not new models. That's like saying that the Passat GL, GLS and GLX are different models.
Word. And the first of these is March 2005. The dealer network ain't gonna be happy until the new stuff starts rolling out the door.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
RRL said:
Z28Driver said:

I totally agree...
I think they need some youth in their engineering department...
Or at least some fresh blood. All they've been doing are make over's to their existing models...
That's why I'm doing the 86 modd'd GTi thing... w/ current engine swaps and yada yada yada...

^^^^ maybe i'll apply for a job out there.. i could give them the youth they need.. and im sure they would make more $$ if i was s designer :)

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
04 will def be a down year, but the outlook is getting better. There are a few things on the horizon ;) (look @ my e-mail addy;))

also end of production runs always mean very good financing terms/ incentives
8)
As for the number that would be the magazines fault. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Correct. The W8 was a lame duck the day it rooled out. It won't fit in a transverse orientation.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Salty D said:
04 will def be a down year, but the outlook is getting better. There are a few things on the horizon ;) (look @ my e-mail addy;))
Salty, when did that happen? You get special deals like employees of the Big 3? Schwweeetttt!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
duandcc said:

1. New Passat (PQ45)
2. New Golf (A5)
3. New Jetta (A5)
4. New GTI (A5)

The rest are just trim levels of existing cars, not new models. That's like saying that the Passat GL, GLS and GLX are different models. :poke:
you hit the proverbial nail on the head. new trim lines to replace an aging population of bread and butter vehicles isn't a good approach.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
vuvision said:
The question is WHEN ? Knowing VW prior pattern, it will be a day too late and a dollar short again.
Exactly.

I sure am glad they spent the last 2-3 years focused on developing the Phaeton. :p It helps to know on which side your bread is buttered...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
1- 1.8T 4mo - already available
2- Jetta GLI (1.8T) - Q2 2004
3- Toureg V10 TDI - Q2 2004
4- Passat TDI - Q2 2004
5- A5 Jetta - Q1 2005
6- B6 Passat - Q3 2005
7- A5 GTI - Q4 2005
8- B6 Passat Wagon - Q1 2006
9- microbus? WTF?

OK, I counted 9 - but kinda stretching it a bit. They're counting trim lines and variants... der.

I think by the time VW gets around to launching the new passat and GTI, subaru will have moved on to B5 with the legacy utilizing the rear-biased AWD system and 300+ hp (competing with audi and BMW in performance, and VW in price)... and god only knows where the WRX and STi will be by that time... sheesh. VW is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!

(just kidding about the B5 legacy BTW... I know they don't come out with new stuff THAT fast!!)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Remove the trim lines and variants and cars not yet slated for production and you get the 4 I mentioned above. trim lines and variants are NOT new car models... :p

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
When I saw "9 new models" I was thinking that VW would make different cars, replacing their ancient Golf/Jetta/Passat line, but I can't tell whether or not I'm glad. On one hand, it would be great for VW to clear out all the designers and engineers, and make an entire new image/car line, but then we don't want to see too much change in the cars some of the people around here have been driving for 20+ years.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Altair 4 said:
Salty D said:
Salty, when did that happen? You get special deals like employees of the Big 3? Schwweeetttt!
Cool! :thumbup:

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Flippped said:
Altair 4 said:
Salty D said:
yes we get deals ;) wait to see what I am planning on rolling once I get settle into my new house :lol:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Salty D said:
Flippped said:
Altair 4 said:
Salty D said:
yes we get deals ;) wait to see what I am planning on rolling once I get settle into my new house :lol:
As I said before, schwweeetttt! Can't wait to see what's coming, especially after the unfortunate end to your other car. BTW, it never surfaced, or did it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts