Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
That video makes it obvious why VW is letting the Phatbox fall away. That is an awsume set up, no doubt!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
one word: WOW.
I hope this system will let me warm my wife up right from the driveway when i come home! (with a password so none else can warm her up :lol: )

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
When I was in the CarPC business, all these ideas were something I envisioned putting into my system. We got much of it to work, but unfortunately, our overhead started to get too high, and although the demand was there, we just couldn't get enough made to meet certain standards. Not to mention the lack of software out there.

The hardware is all readily available today. It's the front end that needs to be perfected, and furthermore, it's still a PC. Think it's annoying when your computer crashes when you're sitting at home? Try it when you're going 80MPH down an interstate....

Nice idea, hope someone jumps on it and gets it perfected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wonderful. People have enough trouble driving with both eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel. What mayhem awaits down the road with one of these set ups in the dash.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I seriously doubt there would be any applause for this at all if any company but VAG was doing this. This is like iDrive on acid. If BMW did such a thing, people would be throwing bricks in Anything Auto right now. I think a line was crossed. As streamlined as they made it, it's too much stuff that isn't driving for a driver to think about or do. I mean seriously, if you are so important that your emails can't wait until you get to the office I'm pretty sure that you'd be in a limo with a workstation.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
Maybe it's just me, but I seriously doubt there would be any applause for this at all if any company but VAG was doing this. This is like iDrive on acid. If BMW did such a thing, people would be throwing bricks in Anything Auto right now. I think a line was crossed. As streamlined as they made it, it's too much stuff that isn't driving for a driver to think about or do. I mean seriously, if you are so important that your emails can't wait until you get to the office I'm pretty sure that you'd be in a limo with a workstation.
I'm with Blur and utahawk on this one. Plus it's just another complex electronic widget that can malfunction. I can only guess what a replacement or just a software reload would cost. Sometimes I miss the days of carbuerators, hand crank windows and a radio with 2 knobs and 5 buttons! Not quite as comfy but you could fix almost anything with $50 and a screwdriver! Being able to turn off your networked iron???? Why not spend $60 for an iron with an auto-shut off rather than the thousands needed for this PC and an iron with a wireless receiver? Put lights on motion sensors or timers if automatic activation is required. Most modern kitchen appliances already have on/off timers. Neat but a useless and expensive gadget if you ask me. :rolleye: :thumbdown

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
that would be amazing to have in any car not just a VW:thumbup: ....i would just love to have it in my car....soon we will all have those in our cars and then they will have something better and more efficient than that!!!
The future brings many possibilities!!!!!!

Enjoy it while you can!!!! Make the best of it and your car!!!!:lol: :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts