1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this hit one of my newswires, thought you guys would be interested:

07/15 10:16AM DJ Sources: VW To Build New US Plant In Chattanooga, Tenn - AP
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
Volkswagen AG (VLKAY) selected Chattanooga, Tenn., as the site for its new U.S. plant, The Associated Press reported Tuesday, citing a member of the company's supervisory board. Tennessee beat out bids by Alabama and Michigan for the plant - part of Volkwagen's strategy to increase its presence in the U.S. The company picked the city after the board debated merits and benefits of the location, Lower Saxony governor Christian Wulff, who sits on the supervisory board of the automaker, said.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Nice central location. Good interstate connectivity. Probably a nice non-union atmosphere. I'll give 'em one thumb up on their selection - held back the other thumb since the I don't think the airport is an international portal.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,481 Posts
Nice central location. Good interstate connectivity. Probably a nice non-union atmosphere. I'll give 'em one thumb up on their selection - held back the other thumb since the I don't think the airport is an international portal.
but it's only a couple of hours from Atlanta, Nashville and Knoxville so it's not too bad. Agreed, good interstate connectivity.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Huntsville was the "leaked" front-runner, so this is surprising news. Still great for the Chattanooga area, which needs the job growth more than Huntsville, anyway.

This also puts them in the middle of a huge regional supplier network that feeds Hyundai, Mercedes, Honda, BMW, Toyota and Nissan plants--all of which are within 3 hours drive time.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IIRC, that corridor places them within 8 hours drive (in any direction) of 40-50% of the U.S. market (based on population)

You have I-77, I-40, I-64, and I-81 within a couple hours drive, and Charlotte Airport is within 2 hours.

About as good a location as they could have asked for, IMO.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
and Charlotte Airport is within 2 hours.
ATL is 2 hours from there, but CLT is more like 5-6 hours (no direct roads over the mountains).

Nonetheless, there are still plenty of international connections in ATL (Delta, BA, etc) that will serve visitors well. Most of these international plants aren't near big airports, which hasn't really stopped them. The only exception is Nashville (Nissan-Renault), but even that doesn't have nearly the connections that ATL or CLT have.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I really hope that VW keeps the Germanness of their models built in the USA. Remember the Westmoreland Rabbits? Chev Malibu interior with Oldsmobile suspension. :puke:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ATL is 2 hours from there, but CLT is more like 5-6 hours (no direct roads over the mountains).

Nonetheless, there are still plenty of international connections in ATL (Delta, BA, etc) that will serve visitors well. Most of these international plants aren't near big airports, which hasn't really stopped them. The only exception is Nashville (Nissan-Renault), but even that doesn't have nearly the connections that ATL or CLT have.
You're exactly right. For some reason while I was typing that, I was thinking of Knoxville, not Chattanooga. :banghead:

Which would explain, among other things, why I left I-24, I-59, and I-75 off the list. :eek:h:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
From the coverage on VWVortex:
Volkswagen plans to produce a new mid-sized platform at this factory. Essentially this will be a U.S. market-specific Passat model, although it may not be called "Passat" when it arrives in 2011. The current Passat is the number one selling mid-size sedan in Germany and is therefore important to Volkswagen AG. This means the development of the Passat primarily focuses on the needs of the German market first and all other markets second. The current model is also produced in Emden, Germany and is expensive to export to the U.S. market due to the poor value of the dollar. As a result the U.S. Passat costs more than similar competitors, isn't competitive in dimensions and size and struggles to find its market niche. Volkswagen of America will now be able to specifically build a car better suited to this market, realize significant cost savings (since it won't have to be imported from Germany) and, most importantly, have a new mid-size car platform strategy that *could* result in a minivan and other mid-size vehicle entries that share components similar to the Toyota Camry/Sienna/Highlander.

This is very interesting. As someone with a B5 who will likely be in the market for a replacement in 2013, I'm going to be watching this intently.

I really, really hope that they keep the German DNA in these US-made cars, and that they don't end up more like the Routan.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, VW is going to this type of manufacturing process across its platform, so I would imagine that will be the case.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
I really hope that VW keeps the Germanness of their models built in the USA. Remember the Westmoreland Rabbits? Chev Malibu interior with Oldsmobile suspension. :puke:
That was true for the Rabbits, but the '87 Golf we had pretty much had regained the German-ness we craved.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
yup. I had a PA built MkII that had over 400k on it...
Ours only made it to 110K - two pretty significant collisions were not kind to it.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I still say they shoulda put the plant in West Virginia. Then the cars would be WVVW. :D

I really worry over the phrase "Volkswagen of America will now be able to specifically build a car better suited to this market". I hope that translates to "you get better choice of options since the factory is right here." We need to make sure they understand right now that they need to build plenty of manual transmission models!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Shouldn't they be buying shut down plants from GM or something?

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
From the coverage on VWVortex:
Volkswagen plans to produce a new mid-sized platform at this factory. Essentially this will be a U.S. market-specific Passat model... Volkswagen of America will now be able to specifically build a car better suited to this market...

These two comments don't bode well IMO. I bought a Passat because I DID NOT WANT an American car. Nor a car designed for Americans.

Bleh. :p I think my next VW will be aircooled.

·
Magical *****
3,069 Posts
Thats cool, More jobs for the US, it'll allow VW to be more mainstream, they will sell out a little in the process but this does not not effect me, I'll keep my b5 ,my next car will be an Audi anyway:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts