Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Simple question hopefully. I loaded about 125kg of sand into the boot of my car. Is this a safe load for the rear suspension? There was nothing else in the car other than me, and I am only about 75kg. Just a bit concerned it seemed lower the next day, although could be imagining that. Have struggled to work out what the car can take from the manual.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks

RVS6

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,171 Posts
It should be able to hold 4-5 reasonable sized adults at 75kg each. I can't see why a temporary load of 125kg would be a problem. There should be a door jamb sticker or somewhere in the owner's manual noting the kerb weight and GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) The kerb (or curb in North America) meaning as it weighed out of the factory without driver. GVWR is the maximum weight of car and contents that the manufacturer allows.

When I say handle, I do not mean that it won't compress the springs and sit lower as a result. I mean the components (axle, springs, wheels/tires) are designed to safely support that weight without fatigue or failure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts