Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I hope I find everyone well. I have a big issue with my VW PASSAT 2002 v6 4motion EU version. My rear left door failed to open both from inside and outside and when i pulled outside handle i discovered that the wire that comes from the internal mechanism to the door was no longer attached to the door handle.
I looked at some forums and was able to open the door from outside by removing the little cover inserting a wire and pulling the wire that was not attached to the handle. To cut the long short story after I did this I MADE a very bib blunder. I closed the door before I returned the outside cover and now the door cant be opened from either inside or outside and obviously I cant put back the cover/,I can but it will fall because am not able to screw the torx screw that holds that cover.

I have attached an image of outside of the door so that what I am talking about might make sense.
So my question that i need help on is how to reopen the door.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T, Black Sedan & 2000 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t, Silver Wagon
6 Posts
You can remove the two screws that hold the cover for the handle (step 1), which allows you to pull the door card upwards and over the window attachment thingy. I suggest you remove the holder for the lock (step 3) and you should then be able to pull the door cable. I did the same thing today, because the cable wasn't attached and the door was locked.
Passat door card removal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Barkib5
Thank you kindly. What I forgot to mention was that I have managed to remove the door panel cover completely and I have tried pulling the door cable to no avail. I have locked and unlocked all the doors using my central locking still its not opening but the locking mechanisms as on stage 3 its popping in and out. I am wondering what's really going on.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm confused. You were able to open the door the first time using the loose metal line (with plastic ribbed end) that normally attaches to the handle. Why can't you do that again?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am equally confused as well. My guess is may be its because i did not put the outside cover or i did not screw the torx screw that holds the cover.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Nah, if you can still access that little cable, or snag it with a coat hanger, if it's kind of buried back there, you should be able to pull it again, and open the door. What happens when you pull it? Nothing?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Are you pulling the cable manually with your hand, or are you pulling it via the handle (it's now reinstalled in the handle)? If you are doing it via the handle, you may not have accurately put it in the correct position. If it's too far to the outside, it might not work, and likewise too far to the inside. That could be your problem. First manually test it by dislodging the cable from the handle and pulling it directly with your hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much. I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. I will give feedback.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If it works with your hand, then this is what you need to know (if memory serves me correct).

If the handle is preventing the metal line (with plastic on end) from fulling returning the metal latch it attaches to (in the lock mechanism deeper in the door) back to it's "home" position, when the handle is released, the door latch will not open from the inside or the outside. So, the little cable is not allowing the internal mechanism to reset. You need to find the "sweet spot", which can vary, but is usually like 3-4 small indentations open between the end plastic mate on the metal line and the top of the little plastic area that it snaps into. You should test the door and fine tune it. Obviously, if there's the opposite problem, too much slack, the metal line will not fully unlatch the door to open it. I usually mark that connector with a sharpie before disconnecting so I know where it lined up previously.

·
Registered
B5.5 Passat Sport TDI PD130 Saloon. [LC5X/AVF/01E/1BE]
2 Posts
Hi Guys
I hope I find everyone well. I have a big issue with my VW PASSAT 2002 v6 4motion EU version. My rear left door failed to open both from inside and outside and when i pulled outside handle i discovered that the wire that comes from the internal mechanism to the door was no longer attached to the door handle.
I looked at some forums and was able to open the door from outside by removing the little cover inserting a wire and pulling the wire that was not attached to the handle. To cut the long short story after I did this I MADE a very bib blunder. I closed the door before I returned the outside cover and now the door cant be opened from either inside or outside and obviously I cant put back the cover/,I can but it will fall because am not able to screw the torx screw that holds that cover.

I have attached an image of outside of the door so that what I am talking about might make sense.
So my question that i need help on is how to reopen the door.:mad::mad::mad: View attachment 103172
I have recently had to replace both the rear lock actuators on my B5.5

From what I've observed; if it won't open with central locking and it won't open manually either, the actuator is probably bad.

Both of my rear lock actuators were rusted solid inside. I had to break them apart to get the doors to open.

You'll need to replace them anyway, just break them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I managed to get my finger into that hole and i actually pulled the round mechanisms INDICATED IN RED on the attached image where the wire is attached and the wire is indicated in BLUE i pulled that as well and it could ,not open.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Make sure that blue cable is LOOSE, not connected to the door handle on the end closest to you. Was the cable still connected to the handle when you did this test? If so, you will still have the same problem. Detach from the handle and then pull on the red metal latch, or pull on the wire.

If that doesn't work, pull on the cable and let it fly back unhindered (spring loaded) several times, and see if that releases the lock mechanism. If that doesn't work, go inside the car, and pull back the interior handle, and let it snap back (spring loaded) several times. If none of that works, it sounds like you have a faulty lock mechanism, or something is preventing the unit from getting in the "home" position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi
Thank you so much. When I did this test yes the cable was still attached to the handle.I will remove it and do as you suggested and see what happens.
lets take the worst scenario that my lock mechanisms is fault how on earth will i be able to open this door so that i can do a replacement

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I wouldn't cross that bridge yet. You didn't do the test properly. Your handle, if there's too much tension on that blue line, the line is pulled out too far when the handle is all the way in, will simply not allow the red latch (in your pic) to fully retract to it's home position. That will prevent opening the door.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
BTW, the fact that your door opened the first time you did this, with a loose blue cable, tells me your lock mechanism is not shot. You just successfully opened your door a few days ago!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cant thank you enough for the wise words. I will give it a go a day after tomorrow I will update definitely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi I cant thank you enough.I have managed to open the door from outside. It was easier than when I thought.Thank you.
You deserve more than a thanks.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No problem. Yeah, so now to properly install that cable, snap it into that grooved area a little closer to the inside of the door than before. It was too far out, and not letting the internal latch rest at it's final position. If the door doesn't open, fine tune it by moving a notch or two one way or the other, depending if it's slacked or loose (at rest).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts