Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry for a late reply. I tried the water trick and spraying water on the belt itself did nothing, but when I spayed on the deflection pulley noise disappeared instantly and came back after few seconds. I haven't changed my belt since I got he car so around 6 years ago.

I have bought a new pulley and a belt but have no idea how to replace it. Do I remove the front and radiator to get to it?

Thanks for all replies :)
Hi i know this is a old post but I am having the same issues with my deflection pulley. In fact just about all the bearings are gone from the inside of the pulley I've been searching the internet for months trying to find the exact deflection pulley which would match my own online and came up empty handed. Everyone is trying to sell me a smooth pulley instead of a ribbed one. So i was wondering if anyone could help me out In finding the right one.

Edit by Vagguy: taken from your profile post.
My car: Passat Variant Wagon V5 2005 2.3
Engine: AZX
Right hand

· Registered
7 Posts
I don't know what's going on with my version of the car

View attachment 107285

this is what the pulley look like when we took it out. Thanks for the replay
The deflection pulley near the A/C compressor (between A/C & crank), should be smooth.
The deflection pulley above crank, should be ribbed.
The tension pulley between crank & coolant pump, should be smooth.
Well the pulley finally fell out and came apart. I'm being told volkswagen has discontinued it.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Which pulley are you having trouble with ?
(Refer to diagram in post #1)

If it is the deflection pulley above the crank pulley (it is ribbed), you could replace the bearing in the pulley.
If it is to the left or right of the crank pulley, it should be smooth, and you had the wrong pulley in that position.
Hey thanks for replying I found another diagram. It's the #8 pulley. The part # 071145276 there has to be a substitute for this just can't find one

· Registered
7 Posts
Which pulley are you having trouble with ?
(Refer to diagram in post #1)

If it is the deflection pulley above the crank pulley (it is ribbed), you could replace the bearing in the pulley.
If it is to the left or right of the crank pulley, it should be smooth, and you had the wrong pulley in that position.
Appreciate the reply. Only problem is the centerpiece that holds the bearings in place got warped

· Registered
7 Posts
I've never seen a VR5, but were you able to get a part number? Many times other companies will make parts that VS has stopped producing. You might also check the VR6 belt setup to see if the pulley is similar.
Part # 071145276 and and I've tried three different pulleys nothing worked for different models nothing worked

1 - 7 of 7 Posts