Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Man, do you seriously think there is any merit to that at all? C'mon, if it sounds too good to be true, or if it's written like a Nigerian spam letter, then it's just another BS scam.

:suspicio:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
How freakin' stupid do they think VW owners are???? No only do I think it may not work but the consequences of continual operation will likely cause thousands of dollars in damage due to overheating. Of couse the obvious implication is, if it gives that much horsepower, they would charge more w/o any fear. Not many people will sue for just $1 + shipping. Caveat Emptor folks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When your ECU thinks you are driving around in your refrigerator, it will advance the timing, right? So this mod (according to what the ad says) will advance your timing beyond what VW's engineers thought to be safe for any given temperature above 44 deg F. Increasing advance can produce more power, but advancing ignition too far leads to detonation (AKA ping, knock, pre-ignition) which is really bad for your engine. It can flake metal off the top of your pistons and break the rings and shatter the spark plugs. All of these metal and ceramic chunks will melt onto the exhaust valves or, if you are lucky, go straight into the hot side of your turbo, which will be spinning at about 80,000+ rpm when it all hits.

Passats have a knock sensor that retards the timing when it detects detonation (that is, after detonation has already happened) which will keep you from blowing up your engine. This mod basically thwarts all the hard work VW engineers did creating a multidimentional engine mapping program that maximizes power while skirting the ragged edge of destruction by bouncing your ignition timing off of the knock sensor. This mod is so inelegant that I can hear an automotive engineer wailing in the distance: "Why? In the name of God, why?"

I bet the guy that makes these also sells a whipped-cream can nitrous-injector system and an Estes model rocket engine adapter for the rear bumper.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yep certainly utter crap, can only be used on non turbo cars though apparently.

They make these claims of upto 20bhp gains but one stupid advert showed the test results from a dyno test on a few cars and the maximum gain was something like 4bhp but that could have been down to the air and engine temperature of the 2 dyno runs.

If it did what it said, they would sell for $100's each.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Man there are so many of these crappy resistor things for sale on ebay, on ebay.co.uk alone there's sometjing like 524 listings currently from anywhere between 99p tp £8.99 and i even noticed some guy selling the new improved version, all they have done is chuch the resistor in a plastic box and put a sticker on the front that says ecu and he's charging between £14.99 - £24.99 depending on your car. Talk about scam!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.