Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is out there from Maryland. Anyone know which VW dealership in Maryland has the best track record or who do you recommend for trusted maintenance service? Any reply is appreciated. Thanks Mil ..I'm hitting the 40 k mile marker anybody know what i should expect that needs be done besides an oil change.??

·
Registered
486 Posts
Where do you live in MD?

If you live near the DC area, I believe Martens VW in Bethesda comes highly recommended.

I live in Baltimore and go to Valley Motors in Cockeysville. They are a VW/Audi/Porsche/MB dealership. All of my visits with them have been great.

The 40K is a biggie as far as maintenance goes. Most stealerships will charge over $400 for this service. How mechanically inclined are you? If you can do the spark plugs, air filter and pollen filter yourself, you will save well over $200 on the 40K.

HTH

Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrlvdub said:
Where do you live in MD?

If you live near the DC area, I believe Martens VW in Bethesda comes highly recommended.

I live in Baltimore and go to Valley Motors in Cockeysville. They are a VW/Audi/Porsche/MB dealership. All of my visits with them have been great.

The 40K is a biggie as far as maintenance goes. Most stealerships will charge over $400 for this service. How mechanically inclined are you? If you can do the spark plugs, air filter and pollen filter yourself, you will save well over $200 on the 40K.

thanks mike , I'll check out Martens. I'm mechanically inclined its just the weather has been pretty crappy to be working on the car. _ Mil

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mil said:
If anyone is out there from Maryland. Anyone know which VW dealership in Maryland has the best track record or who do you recommend for trusted maintenance service? Any reply is appreciated. Thanks Mil ..I'm hitting the 40 k mile marker anybody know what i should expect that needs be done besides an oil change.??
Martens is, in my opinion, NOT worth the ride. THey overfilled my 1.8t on an oil change, then insisted the engine take 5 qts of oil despite the dipstick being insanely high.

For my money, I do all service other than oil changes and tires at NGP Racing in Aberdeen, MD -- www.ngpracing.com -- 1-877-GERMAN1 / 410-994-0000. They are closer to you, a real haul for me. But they will meet me before they open and drop me at the train. More importantly, they are more reasonable than any other place, enough so to make my 1 1/2 hour ride worth it. And above everything else, I really trust them to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about Fitzgerald in Frederick. They have a VW Master tech there has been on the job many many years, and is very knowlegable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I live in Pasadena. I take my GLI and the W8 to Fitzgerald in Annapolis. They are very good. My service writer is Wayne and I request Brian Stodd as my tech whenever I go. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I live in MD and i pretty much do everything myself except timing belt.....

i work at a bodyshop so i can pretty much get any kinda tools i want :D

i think it's a good idea to do it yourself or at least learn to do it yourself cuz

it's gonna save you some money in the future. i have 03 with 46K and yet

to take it to the dealer.....

p.s. i drive alot and my timing belt replacement time is coming up.... do you guys
know who i can trust with the job?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live in Columbia, My father-in-law and I have both been taking our B5s to European Sport Garage in Laurel. These guys are trustworthy and less expensive than the dealer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about New German Performance up by the PA state line in Aberdeen... and have also heard good things about 4Induktion.com in Hanover.

I will be doing my timing belt this coming Saturday down in Annapolis if anyone wants to watch. :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i give third reccomendation for WSC. shupassat- WSC is great for timing belt. however, you might not want to unless you arent on warranty.

while MDers attention is here, Schnell MS is hosting yet another BBQ this july 3rd. details will be posted in events soon! hope to see some of you guys there,

pix of last bbq/cruise::
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewto...=schnell&sid=4b868825bbd28baab8798906c5cc50c8

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Here's the services which are done at the 40K Maintenance Interval.

Engine Oil- change
Engine Filter- change
Timing Belt- check
V-Belt- check tension/condition
Ribbed Belt- check condition
Spark Plugs- replace
Air Cleaner- replace filter
Windshield Washer Fluid- check level
Automatic Shift Lock- check operation
Brake System- check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Wheels- rotate from front to rear
Air Bag System- check function/damage
Battery- check electrolyte level
Pollen Filter- replace
Cooling System- check level
Automatic Transmission- check for leaks
Manual Transmission- check for leaks
Tires/Spare- check condition
Driveshaft- check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights- check and adjust if necessary
Brake Fluid
Check Automatic Trans. Fluid and Differential for leaks, level; add if necessary
Front Axle- check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods
Road Test- check system functions during and after

Mil, since you are closer to Baltimore you might want to consider visiting a VW/Audi Tuner instead of the dealership for your service. Induktion Motorsports in Hanover, Md. or New German Performance in Aberdeen do excellent work and will cost less than going to the dealership for the same work.

Another way you can save some $$$ is through purchasing a 40K Maintenance Kit from ECS Tuning and having the shop install the parts. The kit includes all the plugs, oil, and filters needed for this service and run about $130.00.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
774 Posts
biochemist said:
While not in MD, but NoVA, stay away from VW Springfield. Their service dept is down right awful, not to mention incompetant.
Alexandria VW is just as bad. They inspected my used B5 before I bought it. They found the non-OEM turbo hose, but missed the missing belly pan, evidence of a main rear seal leak, and shot rear brakes. Thankfully the rear seal was fine, and it took 2 years to spend the money on service that I saved with the great deal I got. For now, I only go there if I need a part I can't order online.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
TinMan said:
What about Fitzgerald in Frederick. They have a VW Master tech there has been on the job many many years, and is very knowlegable.
You're referring to Frances. Hes consistantly rated in the top 5 VW mechanics in the country.

Frederick Fitzmall is on Baughmans lane, right off of Route 15. They do an excellent job, are quick, and are mod friendly. (They wont go out of their way to cause trouble with a modded car)

Call em up and talk to Marianne...she works in VW service.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:thumbup: Hey , You guys are awesome. I didn't expect to get much feedback on this. Its helpful to see that different people has made similar recommendations and also to note who to avoid.. SO its only fair i should put out there this note: Stay away !!!!! from Congressional Volkswagen/Mazda in Rockville Md. I've looked them up on the BBB website..better business bureau ..they've got an unsatisfactory rating for service. Though I've had them done only minor maintenance and repairs without incident so FAR!!! I know its only a matter of time they'll screw something up!!! I should also ad that you should stay clear of their body shop service also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen many complaints with people bringing their car back to the body shop regarding complaints like getting their car back in disrepair, discovering new damages or defects made on their car by the morons working on it after its been torn down for body repair and put back together. (e.g. door trims, interior damage or other miscelaneous details like missing fastners, shop dirt grimed in on your brand new interior and smudges) just overall poor quality in restoring your vehicle back to like new condition as promised. They will make excuses for their errors unless you're knowledgeble about your car and can make your case and still manage to treat them like humans they will work with you. BUT IN MY STRONG OPINION ITS JUST NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!!!! SO STAY CLEAR AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.