Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering the idea on getting a VW OEM nav system.

I have a B5.5 with a single DIN Monsoon stereo HU. Below that I have a single DIN CD player, which obviously I'm willing to give up.
I also have a PhatBox hooked up in the trunk which I would like to keep, but I could lose if I really have to.

I would like to know which VW Nav system is best to get (ver.D or ver.G)
so I could still use my steering wheel controls? I've heard there are differences of single DIN vs. double DIN, B5 vs. B5.5, etc.

Any other installation considerations? Do I need to modify the bracket in the dash to accomodate the double DIN nav?

Thanks in advance!

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
I'm pondering the idea on getting a VW OEM nav system.

I have a B5.5 with a single DIN Monsoon stereo HU. Below that I have a single DIN CD player, which obviously I'm willing to give up.
I also have a PhatBox hooked up in the trunk which I would like to keep, but I could lose if I really have to.

I would like to know which VW Nav system is best to get (ver.D or ver.G)
so I could still use my steering wheel controls? I've heard there are differences of single DIN vs. double DIN, B5 vs. B5.5, etc.

Any other installation considerations? Do I need to modify the bracket in the dash to accomodate the double DIN nav?

Thanks in advance!
Go to www.vwnavi.com first.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
either one should work with your steering wheel controls. the G has a sort of a predicative text feature which the D version does not have. other then that they are pretty similar.

if you want to keep the phatnoise, you will have to mod it a little to make it work wtih the navi unit. www.vwnavi.com has some info on that stuff so you might want to check there. actually there is a whole lot of information on that site, but it is a bit slow to respond most of the time...not like here. the navi unit will not play any cds or anything, so you might want to have something there to replace your in dash cd player.

oh and yes, going from single-din to the double-din navi will require you to modify some stuff.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
actually, i got the phatnoise to work with my navi w/o any mods. works for some, so try it before you start modding the phatnoise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts