Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the authenticity of these reports. It could be that one journalist stated his opinion and others just copied for clicks, but allegedly, rumor has it that VW may kill the Beetle after its current production cycle comes to an end in 2018. A similar rumor came out about a year ago and proved to be false, but the big difference is that was before the general public became aware of "Dieselgate, " and IMHO, it may very well be true this time. Sales of Beetles in particular have tanked horribly over the past few months and if VW isn't making a profit on them, they may be better off by killing it to help offset some of the fines/lawsuits they'll have to fork over.

As a few of you may know, I was a rabid water-cooled Beetle enthusiast for a number of years. I finally left the New Beetle/21st Century Beetle scene last fall because the huge community of the late 1990's-early 2000s has shrunk to a minuscule fraction of what it once was, and I grew tired of driving 1000 or more miles to meet with no more than about 40 people and as few as 4-5 at GTGs that once had several hundred. At any rate, if these rumors prove to be true in combination with what I said in the previous sentence, I'm very glad I moved back into a Passat.......

·
Registered
186 Posts
I, for one, will be disappointed if this proves true. I fell in love with VW because my dad bought a Beetle brand new back in February '63. I bought a '64 bug back in the early 90's, and drove it for a couple years until it started to fall apart (those old bugs are expensive to repair and maintain; plus my job sitch wasn't all that good back then). I finally got back into VWs in '98 when I bought a New Beetle. I really enjoyed driving that little guy around until it started wearing out after the warranties expired. In 2005, I traded up to a Passat. But I do like the look of their redesigned Bug - it's a marvelous cross between the New Beetle, and Ferdinand Porsche's finalized design for the original air-cooled bug. If VW were smart, they'd develop and market a hybrid Bug, and perhaps even an all-electric one, to sell alongside of their eGolf and hybrid Golf (and Jetta). Maybe that would help keep the Beetle alive - who knows?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts