Golf/GTI 848, -51.5%
Jetta 4427, -35.3%
New Beetle 1922, -44.1%
Passat 2932, -45.7%
Phaeton 152, n/a
Eurovan 49, -86.4%
Touareg 2875, n/a
TOTAL: 13205, -25.9%

These numbers are even worse when you factor in that January 2003 was a really poor month for VW. The Passat numbers are especially appalling; even the Audi A4 outsold the Passat last month... a first I believe.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also note that they sold 183 Phaetons in December. Sales are actually down 20% from December to January for the "new" cars. Methinks this is not good....

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
While Lexus is posting record beating 11% gain in 2003 :shock:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/06/pf/autos/lexus_hybrid/
In 2003, Lexus sold about 260,000 vehicles in the United States, beating the previous year's record high by 11 percent to become the country's best-selling luxury brand for the fourth straight year.
You think services & reliability have anything to do with these two car manufacturers matching in the opposite directions :???:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously not all around, see the post above yours. Maybe down all around for German cars, but not for all cars. Maybe even the high end German cars are suffering due to poor quality and customer service? You are always saying how MB is just as bad as VW when it comes to those things. Seems like VW and MB have a few things in common...low quality and service and dead in the water sales, yet companies like Lexus, and Infinity are gaining ground...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The reality is that the Japanese cars are attracting the MB/BMW/Audi crowd with their high quality luxury models such as Lexus and Infiniti. And even the mid-level entry cars are appealing to young and old generation. I've seen many european cars traded-in for these Japanese cars.

I even know some Europeans (in their homeland) that now drive Toyota Avensis / Alteezas and Honda Accords. They told me they're tired of seeing the garage (dealer service). Imagine that. :crazy:

But I own 3 German cars, 1 English and a Jap. :wink:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Yup, the word of VW's crappy service is finally being spread to the "regular consumer", not just to us who make a hobby out of these cars. That's unfortunate, but it's VW's fault. I think VW will be okay though. Plus, I don't think those statistics are allowing the big picture to be seen. VW is coming off of one HELL of a good run these past 5 years or so. There wasn't much more room for them to go up considering their crappy service, so down they went this period.

The trade-off, to me anyway, is the enjoyment of driving these cars, the car-driver connection, and of course their style. Who cares if you have to fix it a little more if you like to fix it. A trouble-free car is a boring car, indeed! (Though this is coming from someone who has no respect for warranties so I have to pay for any service I get anyway.)
The Japanese haven't been able to compete with the Europeans when it comes to style (in general). They even finally realized there are "form-over-function" people out there if you've seen the new Honda Accord commercial. It says......(and I quote).....

"The new Honda Accord. 240 horsepower V6, European styling....." :lol: :lol: :p

That commercial cracks me up for obvious reasons. Why don't they just say, "Hey Europe, we like biting your style!" :lol:
Could you imagine a VW commercial that says, "The new Passat. 270 horsepower W8, Japanese styling." :weirdo:

That's enough for me to stay Euro for the next 10 years at least. :beer:

-Harry <---Just doesn't think great reliability is what makes a great car.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nothing new to sell :sad: Well, except for the Toureg.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
SDPassatT said:
...That's enough for me to stay Euro for the next 10 years at least. :beer:

Harry, thanks for sharing your candid personal view with us; and indeed, the Europeans have always been the high bar & the trend setter in regard to Industrial Design, hey what's not to love about the new BMW 5 & 7 series right ? :wink:

All that said, not everyone is as mechanically gifted as you are to perform the DIY fix on modern day's engine, let alone the Passat's :wink: . Understanding ignorance is bliss for some, but for the rest of us working class citizens, reliability is one of the most important aspect of selecting our daily driving car.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
vuvision said:
SDPassatT said:
...That's enough for me to stay Euro for the next 10 years at least. :beer:

Harry, thanks for sharing your candid personal view with us; and indeed, the Europeans have always been the high bar & the trend setter in regard to Industrial Design, hey what's not to love about the new BMW 5 & 7 series right ? :wink:

All that said, not everyone is as mechanically gifted as you are to perform the DIY fix on modern day's engine, let alone the Passat's :wink: . Understanding ignorance is bliss for some, but for the rest of us working class citizens, reliability is one of the most important aspect of selecting our daily driving car.
Well put! And for the record, I'm not too mechanically gifted, just enough to save enough money to stand where I stand on the issue.

To me, cars are like robot girlfriends, it's more pleasant (maybe not important, but pleasant) to have one that looks good and connects with you than it is to have one who is reliable and always shows up on time. :wink:

But yeah, VW sales.....sucky. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts