Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if VW makes a tool to remove the bulbs from the headlights of the Passat. I can't get the passanger high beam bulb out with my fingers.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
a4passata6 said:
Does anyone know if VW makes a tool to remove the bulbs from the headlights of the Passat. I can't get the passanger high beam bulb out with my fingers.
I use micro clamps I bought from Home depot :wink: My wifes fingers would not even fit in there!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I looked at Rich P's write up in the info forum and that's what he used. I am headed to the Depot tonight.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
a4passata6 said:
Yeah, I looked at Rich P's write up in the info forum and that's what he used. I am headed to the Depot tonight.
those are the same ones I have. It is easy to take them out with the clamp but alot harder getting them back in. I was ready to smash something :mad: But it will work sooner or later :roll:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warped said:
a4passata6 said:
those are the same ones I have. It is easy to take them out with the clamp but alot harder getting them back in. I was ready to smash something :mad: But it will work sooner or later :roll:
Oh, great. Just what I needed to hear. :wink:

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Yeah, the passenger side high beam is the biggest PITA among the four. The things that hold the bulb securely to the housing is different than the low beams. I found out when I was able to look at the driver side ones. I think because the high beams don't have a projector lens, they can only go in one way. I believe the low beam bulbs can be installed one way or another.

BTW, I am 5'5" and have relatively small hands. And I had to use the clamps to put the bulb back in. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a lot of swearing the last two nights and my left hand is all chewed up. I wonder what VW uses to get that sucker out.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
a4passata6 said:
There was a lot of swearing the last two nights and my left hand is all chewed up. I wonder what VW uses to get that sucker out.
They remove the front bumper then take out the headlight. $60 to change a $12 bulb :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
peppy said:
a4passata6 said:
They remove the front bumper then take out the headlight. $60 to change a $12 bulb :weirdo:
You're kidding, right? :crazy:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Have you guys tried going in through the access hole in the front wheelwells?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gurft said:
Have you guys tried going in through the access hole in the front wheelwells?
No, I didn't even know there was an access hole in the wheelwell.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i have a b5, and it's real easy...just remove the corner and headlight assembly, and then the headlight comes out real easy. is it harder in the b5.5?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you look in the wheelwell of a B5.5 (not sure about B5) you'll see an oval shaped access panel that you can pop out and replace the headlights from behind.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
a4passata6 said:
peppy said:
a4passata6 said:
You're kidding, right? :crazy:
Nope! The b5's are a whole lot easier to get the bulb out than the b5.5. Damn Germans built it so you would have to go TO the dealer. They certianly are in the the business to make money :suspicio: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69578&highlight=headlight+removal

·
Registered
1 Posts
B5 Headlight Bulb Replacement Tool - Make your own tool!

After spending way too much time and lots of frustration, I made myself a wooden tool that makes headlight bulb installation a snap! I took a 3.5" section of wooden closet pole (1.25" diameter), then cut a 0.75" slot in the end with my tablesaw. I had the bulb reinstalled in 15 seconds!

http://danapicsharing.shutterfly.com/

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
CLEAR! shock......... :D

good first post, bringing this bad boy up from the dead. I just did the same thing with trying to figure out how to aim my foglights last week....04 thread.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
At least it was useful info, and not just a, "Yeah, I found them a pain, too!" post.

My fingers are pretty big, but I work inside computer cases a lot, so with some time and patience I managed all four of my B5's bulbs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts