Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Another chapter is the Toyobaru versus saga
by David Pratte

There’s a phenomena in the automotive press right now that could be called “Toybaru vs”. It’s kind of like that TV show Shaq vs, but instead of pitting a retired basketball superstar against various athletes from other fields, it puts the amazing little Scion FR-S or Subaru BRZ against just about anything with four wheels that an enthusiast-driver with $25k to spend might consider a viable option.

I’ve contributed to this head-to-head bonanza on more than one occasion, including FR-S versus Hyundai Genesis 2.0T coupe and BRZ versus Honda Civic Si HFP shootouts. Other notable comparos from around the interwebs include the FR-S vs a used Porsche Boxster and an FR-S vs a Volkswagen GTI. The latter concluded that the GTI was not only easier to drive fast but was actually quicker around the track. Blasphemy!

And not just because pro racing driver Randy Pobst was 2-seconds quicker in a BRZ than a GTI around the very same track as the aforementioned comparo, but also because I’ve spent a lot of time track testing and racing Scion FR-Ss and Subaru BRZs and it seemed utterly preposterous to me to suggest that an understeer-champion like the GTI could ever hold a candle to the sublime little Toybaru in a contest of speed that involves actual changes in direction.
Read the complete Subaru BRZ vs Volkswagen GTI comparison at AutoGuide.com

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
It sort of doesn't make sense to compare the two. One is a front wheel drive, four door hatchback. The other is a rear wheel drive sports coupe. The GTI has a large cargo area, and room for people with legs in the back seats. The BRZ is more of a weekend cruiser for single people without children or who don't need a lot of space to go grocery shopping.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
I hate the BRZ. I bet they didn't take that into consideration when making their righteous Autoguide decision.
last time I checked, they didn't have to go thru you, Aaron. ;)

but this is a really stoopid comparison - GTI vs BRZ??? wtf were they thinking?

·
Registered
601 Posts
They stack brz's up against everything and anything.. Being a new owner of one I can tell you they are by no means fast, but the driving experience doesn't get much better. Bdub, while you are def right about the backseat regarding leg room.. There actually is pretty adequate cargo space, especially for the size

1 - 8 of 8 Posts