Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a local VW dealer for a warranty catalytic converter replacement after it blew right out of the mounting flange on the turbo housing, so I figured I'd ask them to change the oil because it was nearly time. When picking up the car I asked about their choice of oil and to my :shock: surprise they told me they used 10W-30 because "they could get it in bulk". Nice of them to ignore VW. I would figure that the heavier base 10 weight would do nothing good in terms of getting quick oil pressure rise to the critical bearings in my lil K03 turbo, especially in cold weather up here in New England.

Since that goes against the specific recommendations in my owner's manual and Bentley manual, I'm wondering if the dealer can get in deep sh*t with VWoA?? Frankly it's a horrible dealership from my experience and that of others I know, but the exhaust needed to be fixed...and RIGHT NOW! Forget about the fact that they OVERFILLED the oil, and left a couple of hose clamps in the intake system completely UNTIGHTENED :mad: (they also replaced the valve cover gasket set after finding a leak I never saw).

Any opinions folks?? Should we nuke the place or what?

PS: I decided to go back to my old routine and change my own friggin' oil. Since 5W40 is very difficult to find, I did some research on some oil makers' sites and chose Castrol Syntec 5W50...this car will be on track a couple times a year so I'd rather have the thicker film of 5w50 than say 5W30.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dealerships are under no obligation to follow VW's recommendations, apparently. This was discussed at some point a while ago on here or the 'Vortex. Basically your warranty should be fine if you always take it to the dealership.

The fact that you're using heavier than suggested oil is an interesting issue - you care that your dealership doesn't following VW's recommendations, but you don't? Your warranty might be in question.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Actually, the Castrol Syntec 5W50 is the oil the dealers are supposed to be using in all the cars. It meets the gasoline specs and the Diesel specs. Both the B5 and the TDI are slurping it right now, although the service intervals are quite different. Fortunately my dealer here has a partially functioning brain in their service department.

And, it's not heavier per se. It has a higher high temp limit. And a lower low temp limit, for that matter. It is much more constant viscosity over temperature than the 10W30.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EDIT:atomicalex got here first with her reply! I'll keep mine here though cuz I like to know I was more or less on target about this topic 8)

Arrogant bastard that I am :lol:

5W50 is not "heavier" oil than 5W40. The base viscosity is the same, ensuring rapid oil pressure rise under all temperatures. The difference is(as I've come to understand it) the 5W50 essentially "thins" at higher temps as if it were a base 50 weight oil to begin with. Since it appears from all I've ever learned that much engine wear occurs when oil pressure is low at start-up, especially cold start, it would seem to me that going to a 10 weight base would be a greater "crime against the warranty" than sticking with 5 weight base but with more viscosity extenders. I've attempted to obtain 5W40 but have come up with zilch after a half dozen shops/suppliers/retailers either did not carry it, never heard of it, or claimed they could not get it.

Frankly I'd like to hear from the lubricant professionals around here(from what little I've read, "atomicalex" comes to mind)...nothing quite replaces "educated" commentary. I have no problem deferring to the credentialed experts :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atomicalex said:
Actually, the Castrol Syntec 5W50 is the oil the dealers are supposed to be using in all the cars. It meets the gasoline specs and the Diesel specs. Both the B5 and the TDI are slurping it right now, although the service intervals are quite different. Fortunately my dealer here has a partially functioning brain in their service department.

And, it's not heavier per se. It has a higher high temp limit. And a lower low temp limit, for that matter. It is much more constant viscosity over temperature than the 10W30.
Speak of the devil!...She appears as I'm away typing my response. She's got ESP too it seems :wink:

Nope, no brains appear to be used at that dealer...but between your ears it's obviously a different story :bow:

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts