Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I saw that too - I think it's pretty nice looking - the headlights are little oversized as is the grill but otherwise I really like it a lot. It's got great lines, I like the side creases and oh hey "look ma, no wheel gap!" ;) :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm not interested at all, and I think it will be a commercial failure in the US. Reason being that this car starts at $32k for a 2.0l turbo w/ 200hp (I'm guessing base price w/ FWD) and a $37k VR6. Basically it's priced around the same range as the TT and the SLK. From the way the article read, I'm not even going to bother looking into the performance specs. With 80% of the article devoted to emphasis on visual design cues, I think this pretty much going to end up being a cruiser coupe. If it was sold for around $8-$10k cheaper, perhaps it would be popular.

But if you're for the selling for the same price as the TT, I think 99% of potential consumers would be looking at the premium brand. I also feel that slapping on the same front end ( Concept C's front looks a lot like the Passat, and most likely the new Jetta ), as other car's in the lineup most likely will be a turnoff to most consumers. Of course, the notoriety of VW's serving/dealership isn't going to make things better.

As with the W8, R32, Phaeton, Eurovan, etc. I think this is another car that will only appeal to VW diehards, and I doubt that's enough to sustain the model's overall profitability.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

can someone photoshop that pic and change the rims and erase the vertical portion of the grill and the vertical lines on the lower fron valance.

I like it but chrysler was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the grill and rims

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
$37k for the VR6 model?!!!
That's in the Audi A4 Cabriolet territory!

It looks really nice, unfortunately looks like VW is doing some serious cost cutting on their cars. That grey plastic on the dash, steering wheel and around the HVAC/Stereo looks really cheap, almost GM quality. Also the wood looks really fake (the Zebrano wood pattern never looks nice unless it's stained really dark) and doesn't match the rest of the interior.

However, if the unique retractable hardtop with integrated power panorama sunroof makes it into production, it should justify it's high price and make the A4 cabrio, the CLK cabrio, and the 325ci convertible a run for their money.

With the top up it looks very European, similar to the Peugeot 307cc convertible/coupe, the Renault Megane Coupe-Cabrio, and even the CLK coupe:

Peugeot 307cc:

Renault Megane:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts