Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Volkswagen has its eyes set on competing against the Subaru Outback with an all-wheel-drive, Golf-based Jetta SportWagen due in the U.S. in late 2014.

The German automaker has approved the model, with sources saying that it will be similar to the Alltrack concept shown at the 2012 New York Auto Show, meaning the all-wheel-drive model will have higher ground clearance and body cladding.

Volkswagen, which currently sells a Passat Alltrack in Australia, is looking to steal away some of the Outback’s market share, which is Subaru’s best-selling model in the U.S. If the German automaker can keep costs down on the all-wheel-drive variant, it could compete with the Subaru Outback, which is priced from $23,495 including destination. Currently, the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen in front-wheel-drive form is priced at $21,390.
See more VW Alltrack photos at AutoGuide.com

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the looks of it, but it'd be cool to see a new AWD VW on the roads. Even cooler if it comes in manual.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
But why on a Jetta/Golf platform not Passat as it is in Europe???This thing is nice but will be on a smaller side...

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I'd be happy if it is based on the new longer Jetta platform. That would make it the right size to replace my B5 4MO and much lighter/cheaper than the new A4 Allroad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My thoughts are.. if its 23xxx for an "alltrack" why is it a front wheel drive model? Is the subi around that same price is that one all wheel drive or front wheel drive? Like a few have stated why isn't it all wheel drive yet branded "all track" (for base price). And following "all-road" audi lines for example, they added the fender flares ...but no wider quarters/fenders, nothing else seems out of the ordinary minus maybe the polished roof rails. They have basically lifted a jetta wagon and fitted a AWD drivetrain and said ok subi killer. I like the way it looks but it seems not too well thought out i hope it does well and has something different to offer then a regular jetta wagon (besides the noticeable things)

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
What an awkward car.

I'm confused, P1.8T, where did you get pricing info? If they can keep this around $23k base, that would be pretty awesome, but I have a feeling it'll be around $28k. I'm pretty sure it's going to be AWD, hence the name. And Subaru only makes AWD vehicles, minus the new BRZ.

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
I'm confused, P1.8T, where did you get pricing info? If they can keep this around $23k base, that would be pretty awesome, but I have a feeling it'll be around $28k. .
If the German automaker can keep costs down on the all-wheel-drive variant, it could compete with the Subaru Outback, which is priced from $23,495 including destination. Currently, the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen in front-wheel-drive form is priced at $21,390.
Its in the article above.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There is nothing here that would prevent me from buying one to replace my B5.5 in however many years.

If, that is, they manage to cut a couple of inches off the height, remove the Pontiac Aztek plastic from its genes, and at least give it a DSG.

Hoping for Torsen and a real manual on top of that is probably hoping a bit too much...

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
Meh, not really. Body styling is quite bland.
People on here want avants. It's a thing. An AWD variant should make people happy, because if we've learned anything over the years, it's that we can easily change the appearance of these vehicles to give them a more livened up and refined styling than what comes from the factory.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
People on here want avants. It's a thing. An AWD variant should make people happy, because if we've learned anything over the years, it's that we can easily change the appearance of these vehicles to give them a more livened up and refined styling than what comes from the factory.
x2;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts