Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 VW Passat VR5 Syncro
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

So I removed the engine to replace the timing chains and some gaskets, etc. Now when I have put it back, it won't start anymore. VCDS says 00513 - Engine speed sensor (G28) 03-00 - No signal. Ok, seems pretty simple - replaced the sensor. Nothing changed. Checked the wiring - everything ok. Tried another sensor - nothing. Tried another ECU - same error code.

Double checked timing marks - exactly as they should be.

Even checked the sensor signal with an oscilloscope at the ECU plug, so eliminating faulty wiring theory. Seems fine, here is a video:

Another useless thing I noticed - when I unplug the camshaft sensor (crankshaft sensor stays connected), ECU does not show any faults, so now it doesn't see the engine starting attempt at all...

VCDS shows 0 RPM at all times during starting (when the connection isn't interrupted by voltage drop during starting).

I don't have any more ideas what to do... Pls halp :cry:

Engine code AGZ

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,226 Posts
Check all of your fuses. You may have blown one when putting everything back together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check all of your fuses. You may have blown one when putting everything back together.
First thing I did was disconnecting the battery and I connected it again only right before first start attempt. Anyway, I checked all 3 or 4 of those fuses, which are related to engine management, they seemed to be ok. But I will double check...

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,226 Posts
I would check them all. You'd be surprised how some circuits rely on others.

Reactions: Tomvw and zipo93

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
As this issue occurred during an engine R&R, it is most likely damage to the ESS wiring or connectors.
I suggest you re-check the wiring and connectors.
Check continuity of wires and connectors.
Check for shorts to ground.
Check for shorts between conductors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You for the suggestions!

After all the problem was incorrectly plugged sensors.

Who would have guessed, that this colour sensor plug goes into the grey socket, not the green one...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts