Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am new here,

The problem I have is when the engine is running and is making a buzzing noise, which the buzzing gets quicker to quicler the engine runs, you can hear the buzz noise also when driving

The buzz is like a noise you would expect from a electric car if you know what i mean

The guy I had it off said it has alway made this noise since he had it 5 years ago

please can anyone help

Thanks

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
The VR5 in your B5 was sold only in Europe.

If the noise (variable with engine speed) is coming from the point near where the engine and transmission come together, it is likely that the camshaft timing parts (idler, guides and chain) are becomming excessively worn. This should be professionally diagnosed since the repair requires separating the transmission from the engine.

This usually happens on a VR6 around 100,000 miles (or 160.000 Km)...a VR5 would be expected to show the same symptoms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that the car has done 103000 miles

I take it is OK to drive be will need sorting out soon

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
My B4 VR6 doesn't make any cam chain noise (knocking on wood), but this is the type of problem where the noise gets gradually worse just before pistons and valves make contact after the loose cam chain skips a tooth. :O :cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is already booked in to the VW dealer on next Wednesday,
I am not currently driving the car as worried about bent valves and things like that

just want to check what they are telling me is correct and it looks like they are right from your comments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts