Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were a 'kid' during the mid to late 80's, you will know about "The Defender of the Universe" - the one & only Voltron!

Not the car Voltron or the other tri-robot version. I'm talking about the real deal Holyfield - LION VOLTRON!!
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who was glued to their TV's every afternoon to see our hero's Kieth, Pidge, Hunk, Priness Alura, and Lance battle the evil forces of King Zarkon, Prince Lotor & Hagar - and their minions of Robeasts. I remember me, my brother, & the kids from the block playing/pretneding we were the five lions (fortunately, we had one girl that we played with that was always willing to be Princess Alura).
There is no doubt that Voltron was a colorful & fond memory that was woven into the tapestry of my childhood.

Well, yesterday, I had the chance to purchase a peice of my childhood. Behold....

More pics: http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=Reviews&req=showcontent&id=864

This is different than the version that came out when we were kids. THis one is more detailed & a lot more posable. It even comes in an awesome commemorative collectors "Materpeice Book" display case.

I have #3326 of the first 5000 (of a total of 15,000 to be produced).

PS: Pricess Alura was a decent pilot for Blue Lion, but we all know it's true master was SVEN.

Yes, I'm a geek.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blakwag said:
Awesome! I'm with you 100% I begged and begged my parents for one, but they were just way to pricey back then. There were of course the knockoffs, but what kid would settle for that. Instead I got this: http://www.terranovaart.com/robotpage/images/superrobots/daltanius/dalt_god_box1_big.jpg
I need to dig it up in my parent's basement one of these days.

Let's see some actual pics!

I'll try to snap some pics tonight.
I'm actually considering getting another one just to play with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys that buys these things to collect. I am a firm beleiver that toys are meant to be played with - not looked at. But I was thinking of keeping one intact just for my future kid. Kinda like a way for me to share a peice of my childhood with my future kid.
This is, by far, one of the coolest things I own.
My parents couldnt afford to get me the real Matchbox version - so I got a 'knockoff' version as well. Despite that, man did I love that toy. In my imaginary "play" world, Voltron lived in the same universae as the Transformers & GI Joe. Voltron always stood triumphant & kicked all their asses.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
to see our hero's Kieth, Pidge, Hunk, Priness Alura, and Lance

Behold....

but we all know it's true master was SVEN.
When I read above I was thinking...."damn, I could have sworn that one of their names was Sven."

Geeks unite!

Voltron rocked! Forget the near and middle universe Voltrons. distant universe Voltron was by far the best.

-Mark

·
Registered
774 Posts
I still think Voltus can beat Voltron :p
perhaps one of these days I can own this bad boy...even when I was a little kid...it's one of the most expensive robot.

Let's Volt-In ! :lol:

·
Registered
872 Posts
OMG I still have the Matchbox version in my parents' basement! I have to go over there and dig it up.

IIRC, isn't the lion version Voltron III? There were also I and II--one was 3 robots that had the torsos stack on top of each other, and the other was like 15 cars/trucks that made up the robot. That one amused me--why so many vehicles? One didn't do anything except be the chest plate.

Wow that brings back memories...

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
how much is voltron worth

curious cuz i think i got some little gi-joe action figures in the garage with all the little tanks and good stuff :)

ahh the good old times..if their worth some good money i would sell em

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I was a big Robotech fan. I bought 4 really rare Macross Valkyries from Japan from the local comic store in 1985. Two were from the Macross movie. In 1998 I sold them on ebay for $1000+.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Boser,
So this is the original Die-Cast metal ones that had flying missiles that small kids could swallow. My friend had one.
I have (Not complete) 2 other Shogun warriors from this series. There is like 5 Shogun (called something else) from the series that Voltron is part of. I also had many giant plastic Shogun warriors. Including 2 Shogun Godzillas. How I miss them?
Mboyd,
I still have some Macross stuff. Including all the comics, all the art of Macross books, the still pictures, and two Japanese Macross movie books that I can't read. I got them because there is more blood and Min Mei is naked. Hey, I was a sick kid.
Voltron, Battle of the Planets (Not the revoice POS, where Keeope had the funny stutter), Robotech were my favorite shows. As for Voltron, the second he created the Blazing Sword it was over. Only in the shows final episode did he lose the sword after forming it. Of course, after the flying lion head attack, he got the sword back to finish the job. Also, Thundar the Barbarian rocked, got to love post apocalyptic earth, but that wasn't anime.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Oh yeah I had the Macross Perfect Book and several other anime books. Really ahead of the curve on that stuff. It's so popular today with kids. I bet the Perfect book is worth some serious cash. I gave it away to a friend when I moved years and years ago.

My buddy still has the Shogun Godzilla and Rodan! I never had a single Shogun warrior. Star Wars was my thing during that era. But had some of the Marvel comics.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OCTICK said:
Boser,
So this is the original Die-Cast metal ones that had flying missiles that small kids could swallow. My friend had one.
I have (Not complete) 2 other Shogun warriors from this series. There is like 5 Shogun (called something else) from the series that Voltron is part of. I also had many giant plastic Shogun warriors. Including 2 Shogun Godzillas. How I miss them?
No. This version is the Masterpeice edition that is much more posable (the original did not have any joint movement & was very stiff) & has much more detail. One of the improvements they have made is with the Blue/Yellow Lions. Their tails now retract into the chasis (versus folding over as with the original) so no more lost or broken tails. From what I understand the original toy was first released in the 80's & was re-released by another company in the mid 90's. The min-90's version was produced using the same casts as the original so it was still the stiff, limited-posability version. If you go to the Toynami site you'll see the painstaking detail & development that went into this version (check out the non-painted ones). When I was a kid, I had a knock-off version of the Matchbox one. However, back then even the knock offs were pretty good quality. My was identical (same materials, stickers, etc.) as the Matchbox version. I was very upset when I lost (later found behind our TV) Green Lion's head (which was a spring loaded projectile). Man, they don't make toys like that any more.

By the way, are these Shoguns you're referring to, the "Robeasts" that Voltron slayed on a daily basis with great power, might & the Blazing Sword?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Yes, Thundar! I always come across those youngins that never believe me that there was a cartoon called Thundar the Barbarian. They'd be like, "Oh you mean He-Man?"
I think Macross is my all time favorite. If I was Rick Hunter, I woulda gone with Minmei hands down over Lisa Hayes.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts