Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
The (more sexy) B5.5 (even sexier) Wagons will REALLY become a collector item now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Talk about sexy, my stock 2018 Passat SEL Premium is loaded with sexy top of line features and was such a bargain compared to any of its competition that every time I think about the 6 year 72K mile no deductible warranty, look at its beautiful profile, and even more so as it purrs on highway drives, I get so excited my girlfriend gets jealous.

Seriously, in the real world the value, looks, and performance of the Passat against the lackluster B7 sales make no sense even when explained by the demand for SUVs. Additionally, now as gas prices trend higher, I constantly get close to 40 and above MPGs with 87 octane on long highway drives in the normal mode, not economy mode, and against that mileage electric vehicles make no sense at all for city dwellers and even less sense when the grid goes down as it does periodically for different reasons, so let's hope VW and all manufacturers rethink all electric as well as VW discontinuing the Passat sedan in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Talk about sexy, my stock 2018 Passat SEL Premium is loaded with sexy top of line features and was such a bargain compared to any of its competition that every time I think about the 6 year 72K mile no deductible warranty, look at its beautiful profile, and even more so as it purrs on highway drives, I get so excited my girlfriend gets jealous.

Seriously, in the real world the value, looks, and performance of the Passat against the lackluster B7 sales make no sense even when explained by the demand for SUVs. Additionally, now as gas prices trend higher, I constantly get close to 40 and above MPGs with 87 octane on long highway drives in the normal mode, not economy mode, and against that mileage electric vehicles make no sense at all for city dwellers and even less sense when the grid goes down as it does periodically for different reasons, so let's hope VW and all manufacturers rethink all electric as well as VW discontinuing the Passat sedan in the U.S.A.
I agree - well, maybe what they’re thinking is that they’ll make money on an Audi A6 more than an almost similar Passat. Really, why would anyone buy an Audi when you get the same in the Passat! But people do so they get get the rings on the hood instead. Audi marketing budget must be phenomenal in comparison to VW. You can still import a Passat wagon from Germany but it costs the same as an Audi A6 Avant here when you include shipping. So seriously it’s about brand and marketing. Update: I can get an A6 Avant Technique for $92K CAD and before shipping, the German Passat wagon configured similarly will cost 118K CAD

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree. The manufacturer rush to electric is way outpacing demand. There remain thorny, expensive, structural issues to resolve and alleviate to make electric cars palatable to the majority of American vehicle buyers. Even 25% of existing electric vehicle buyers switch back to a ICU vehicle after a few years with an electric vehicles; due primarily to the lack of charging infrastructure and/or inability to have home-based charging (condo, apartment, high-rise dwellers, etc.). If this transition is truly going to happen; and I suppose it will at some point, there'll need to be massive public & private infrastructure investment across, not just the US, but all the industrialized countries, in order to facilitate the economies of scale available in ICU vehicle design/production. And we all know how difficult it is to get infrastructure spending bills through the US Congress...(all politics aside - let's not go there, please). Yes, government entities are pushing for the change and making announcements, etc., etc. (politics aside again please), but the American vehicle buyer isn't increasing the demand at the pace to quite producing so many ICU models like the Passat. I suppose the offset is that the Jetta is remaining in production but it's not the Passat. Shame...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My girlfriend told me numerous times her 2015 SE Jetta wants to be a Passat when it grows up..., and If electric vehicles had solar panels on the roof, hood, and trunk so they can charge while the grid is down after earthquakes, hurricanes, cyberattacks, etc., etc., etc., you will at least be able to listen to a radio and charge a cellphone, but if someone somewhere can't sell you something for a profit that is consumable and needs replenishment periodically, like gas or electric from a charging station, don't hold your breath.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm a capitalist and OK paying and being taxed for fuel, I just don't think electric vehicles are ready for primetime and suspicious of the push by manufacturers after onerous legislation that punishes them with big penalties if they don't play ball.

Moreover, think about your aircondioner's performance during an electric utility's brownout and what that and simular events would mean for electric vehicles.

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
13 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm a capitalist and OK paying and being taxed for fuel, I just don't think electric vehicles are ready for primetime and suspicious of the push by manufacturers after onerous legislation that punishes them with big penalties if they don't play ball.
I couldn't agree more. Solar panels and windmills still take a huge amount of power, mining, and petroleum products to produce. I'm not convinced that electric cars would be on the road without the US government picking favorites in automotive power plants.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
VW has been known to make some stunningly stupid business decisions over the years, as far as the US is concerned, but I don’t know if this is one of them. Maybe if they had a Steve Jobs to convince buyers that a sedan or wagon is better than an SUV, but alas they don’t.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree. The manufacturer rush to electric is way outpacing demand. There remain thorny, expensive, structural issues to resolve and alleviate to make electric cars palatable to the majority of American vehicle buyers. Even 25% of existing electric vehicle buyers switch back to a ICU vehicle after a few years with an electric vehicles; due primarily to the lack of charging infrastructure and/or inability to have home-based charging (condo, apartment, high-rise dwellers, etc.). If this transition is truly going to happen; and I suppose it will at some point, there'll need to be massive public & private infrastructure investment across, not just the US, but all the industrialized countries, in order to facilitate the economies of scale available in ICU vehicle design/production. And we all know how difficult it is to get infrastructure spending bills through the US Congress...(all politics aside - let's not go there, please). Yes, government entities are pushing for the change and making announcements, etc., etc. (politics aside again please), but the American vehicle buyer isn't increasing the demand at the pace to quite producing so many ICU models like the Passat. I suppose the offset is that the Jetta is remaining in production but it's not the Passat. Shame...
What I don't get is where do people think electricity comes from the sky????? No people it comes from burning fuel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts