Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, now that I'm out of Vegas and the deal is sealed I can finally break cover on my top secret mission. The folks got a smoking deal on a 2006 Maserati Gran Sport with 18,000 miles on the clock and wanted me to go along with my mom to inspect and drive it home.

She's a beaut, complete with the skyhook adaptive suspension and the Cambiocorsa automated 6 speed. The way it handles is unreal. You can turn that in as hard as you want and there is zero, I mean zero body roll. Anyway, now I have a benchmark to shoot for on my build. I'll have to do some before and after pulls with it to see what kind of difference the new turbo setup makes.

Anyway, I have some more pics of some unusual automotive stuff that I'll put up later. Right now I just stopped for the night and I'm friggin' bagged.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crazy thing is, the total cost, including a new clutch was about 50-52K. Not chump change, but that's a hell of a lot of car for the price.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, we were was surprised that it wasn't detailed before purchase. However we bought it shortly after the seller acquired it and due to my schedule, we needed to get down there in a hurry which meant they had to get the new clutch put in ASAP. So that didn't really give the seller any time to get the car detailed.

R32, I couldn't tell you what happened to the floor mats. However I was looking at the listings on ebay to see what the other Gransports had for floormats and I found something interesting. Virtually all those cars had 30-35K on the odometer and no mention of a clutch change. Normal service life for a clutch on those cars is 30-35K and it's a $4000-5000 job to change it. Coincidence? I think not.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Non-issue. You can get it all cleaned up at your leisure. Finding a good deal and being the one to close on it is what counts. :thumbup:

Looks like a fun car!

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I only hope for you that they live in Calgary near you... just so you can drive it all they way back through the Canadian Rockies.

Possibly a perfect road trip. Start in the desert and end on the other side of the Rockies.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately we were under time constraints since I'm flying out to Vancouver tomorrow so we pretty much had to to take the straightest route North from Vegas. We did run through a few canyon passes around Helena Montana though. It performed admirably to say the least.

I found that the suspension can be a little unnerving on initial turn-in since it's adaptive and the shocks are softer when it's not under cornering load. However you just have to take it on faith that it will firm up as you load it. Once it takes a set, you're good to go. I also found that it seems to like smooth consistent inputs. Being abrupt with throttle or braking makes it feel unsettled. It never let loose, however it feels kinda sketchy.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Well, it's a big, heavy, Grand Touring car... Not an F430... ;) Still would be pretty fun, though. My investment guy just bought one like that, but the coupe, I think. Still, you have to be as wealthy as our parents to be able to afford the repair bills for a monster like that...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts