Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10,000 mile service is coming up and I feel it is not necessary to get it done at the dealer. Here are the things they say to do:

1. Change oil and filter
2. Top up windshield washer fluid
3. Check brakes and fluid
4. Rotate Tires
5. Visually inspect airbags

The first four are pretty easy and self-explanitory, but what exactly does one look for in the airbag system? Could someone help me out with this?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Bleser said:
The first four are pretty easy and self-explanitory, but what exactly does one look for in the airbag system? Could someone help me out with this?
They check that the Airbag light is not on. And that the airbags are still there. That about covers it. Probably costs $100.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Anyone that charges for that visual check should be shot. If you have them change the oil and rotate the tires, each of the 3 other things on the list should be part of the service.

It is our job to identify problem areas or potential problem areas for you--that is kind of the whole reason a robot doesn't do my job yet....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I thought visual inspection ment to make sure the plastic or lether around the air bag wasn't cracked or had any obvious problems. :???:

this is why i dont go to the vw dealership unless i have to, cause i dont want to be charged for things that any person with eyes can do

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Chris30vB5.5 said:
Bleser said:
They check that the Airbag light is not on. And that the airbags are still there. That about covers it. Probably costs $100.
Airbag Visual Inspection - I am offering this service to anyone that is interested for only $79.99. I will at the same time provide a free blinker fluid change (labor only not parts).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I want my kick down switch checked too, cause i cant tell if i downshift when i floor it. Please can u let some guy who i dont know drive my car flooring it before it is warmed up. :crazy:

oh, and do a visual check to make sure that the steering wheel is still there

·
Registered
237 Posts
Airbag Visual Inspection - I am offering this service to anyone that is interested for only $79.99. I will at the same time provide a free blinker fluid change (labor only not parts).
I want in on this action. You can change my blinker fluid and I'll check to see if your heated seats work. While I'm in there I'll see if your radio will turn on and if all your mirrors mirror are still reflecting.

Jonathan

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
jjasper13 said:
I want in on this action. You can change my blinker fluid and I'll check to see if your heated seats work. While I'm in there I'll see if your radio will turn on and if all your mirrors mirror are still reflecting.

Jonathan
Wow! I've been looking for someone to do these things for me! Let's set up a GB for all of the services we're willing to offer and that way we can give fellow B5ers cut rate pricing for such important services. :lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I will be happy to offer inspection services to see if your tires are on your wheels and if the screws for your licence plate are up to OEM specificatons :weirdo:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here in Norway if you follow the services at a Vw dealer you get more for your car when you sell it.
Is it the same in the US?
This is stupid because many people can do this work just as good as the dealer, but when you don't get the stamp in the service booklet it's just as if you havn't had a service on the car :crazy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts