Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey... I just finished replacing my viscous fan clutch that had been damaged with a new one that I had ordered from Rockauto.com... It was considerably cheaper than the others, and I didn't want to sink a ton of money into the car since it's a salvaged title now! It's made by the brand Uro Parts. I had to replace the pully that it came with, with the one from the first, which wasn't a big deal, but when I went to install the fan onto it, the screws that held on the fan to the clutch seemed to big! I got a size smaller, and they're too small. :( I can almost start one of the screws with the originals, but I don't want to push it and jack up the threads!

Has anyone had any experience with Uro Parts, and is this a common problem with their stuff? Or, does anyone have any ideas on what I should do about my problem... I just removed the clutch, which really pisses me off because I just got through putting everything back together, and I'm heading down to the parts store to see if they can match something up, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any thoughts!

Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
sounds like you might be using the wrong style, i.e. imperial vs metric, i havent had any experience with Uro, never heard of them until now, actually. hope you can figure it out, but I would start with the metric vs imperial measurments.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright... I checked to see if it was standard thread, but it wasn't... The guy at NAPA was looking at it and decided to run the screw in through the back, and it threaded in, so I ended up purchasing the appropriate tap, and cleaned the threads, starting from the back, and cleaned em up... Looks like they didn't run theirs deep enough at the factory... But the original screws ended up working just fine! Thanks though!

·
Registered
2002 Passat, 1.8t GLS Wagon, 160,000 + miles
10 Posts
Hey, Groomy! Just checking to see how your Üro parts fan clutch held up (I know it has been a lot of years since you did this)? I am getting ready to replace mine with the same part you used from Rockauto and wondered if you have any long-term thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts