·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for your amusement-

remember that [email protected] thing?

well...

http://www.phobe.com/yeti/

For years, man has tried to pin down the mysterious creature that stomps clumsily along the very edges of our collective subconscious like a crossdresser trying out a new pair of slingback pumps. And yet all we have to show for it is a few episodes of Leonard Nimoy's "In Search Of" and a blurry video of a guy in an ape suit (and don't tell us you can't see the zipper).

Until now.

[email protected] is a scientific experiment that harnesses the power of hundreds of thousands of Internet-connected computers in the search for giant ape-like creatures (YETI). We, the YETI team members who founded this experiment, are experts in the field of cryptozoology (the study of animals that do not exist).

You can participate in this historic study by running a free program that downloads and analyzes video & sound captured from your very own backyard.There's a small but captivating possibility that your computer will detect the faint footsteps of a hairy monster.
[email protected] - what a riot!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
linux-works said:
for your amusement-

remember that [email protected] thing?

well...

http://www.phobe.com/yeti/

For years, man has tried to pin down the mysterious creature that stomps clumsily along the very edges of our collective subconscious like a crossdresser trying out a new pair of slingback pumps. And yet all we have to show for it is a few episodes of Leonard Nimoy's "In Search Of" and a blurry video of a guy in an ape suit (and don't tell us you can't see the zipper).

Until now.

[email protected] is a scientific experiment that harnesses the power of hundreds of thousands of Internet-connected computers in the search for giant ape-like creatures (YETI). We, the YETI team members who founded this experiment, are experts in the field of cryptozoology (the study of animals that do not exist).

You can participate in this historic study by running a free program that downloads and analyzes video & sound captured from your very own backyard.There's a small but captivating possibility that your computer will detect the faint footsteps of a hairy monster.
[email protected] - what a riot!
Too funny. I just emailed that link out to a group of buddies, one of which, we call "The Yeti."

LOL! :lol:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
experts in the field of cryptozoology (the study of animals that do not exist).
they're obviously not experts. its not cryptozoology, its steganozoology

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
linux-works said:
they're obviously not experts. its not cryptozoology, its steganozoology
I'm not even gonna look it up to see if you're right, but how the heck you you come to know something like that?

I thought I knew some oddball stuff, but that's totally off the chart! :crazy: :bow: :lol:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for a while, when [email protected] was just starting out, I was very much into running their code. I had a few dual cpu systems and so I ran it and got a pretty good 'score'. I also found lots of problems with intel SMP chipsets(*) due to the [email protected] thing being a real cpu pig. [email protected] ended up being the best system-test/burn-in I could find - lol!

so it was extra funny for me to run into this parody, since I had been such a big advocate of the [email protected] - for a multitude of reasons.

(*)the BX chipset sucks. the GX, of its day, at least didn't throw errors due to heat.)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hey Linux, were you running an abit bp6 with 2x366mhz cpus @550 each? just a wild guess :D :roll: That was truely the good ol' days!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did have one of those, and also a tyan BX, an asus BX and a supermicro BX.

all the BX chipsets would overheat (even with fans) and throw errors. it prompted the util 'bxburn' like 'cpuburn' to try to weed out the buggy chips from the last release of [finally] good ones.

BX was consumer and was junk. GX was 'pro' and finally did work, even under 2*100% util.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hhaaha man some people are :crazy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts