Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am no longer feeling good vibrations from my b5, dont be scared... i still love her.

Problem, a very noticable, sometimes violent shaking when braking, pronounced at higher (highway speeds,) but still noticable at low speeds.

At high speeds the steering wheel shakes along with the whole car. at low speeds it feels like i am feeling when each and every dimple of the rotor.

I have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on the front, with greenstuff pads all around, and stock rear rotors.

I am very skeptical to believe this is normal with slotted rotors, which is what some have said, but i dont know if it would be so violent if it is warped rotors.

So any ideas?

are they warped, normal, or is it my imagination

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
sounds like your rotors are warped. I think someone else had a problem with ebc rotors going bad (warping/cracking) on them pretty fast. You might want to try ecs rotors or ate rotors, i havent heard any bad news about them.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
if you take it to a shop they will probably test drive it and tell you that your rotors are warped. Its not possible to cut warped rotors so you are gonna need to suck it up and get a new pair. REMEMBER NOT TO GET EBC ROTORS AGAIN

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Is the shaking only under braking, or is it exacerbated by braking? Sometimes when wheel is bent, you feel only slight vibration when driving (with properly balanced wheel) but it becomes very pronounced under braking. It feels like warped rotor but it's actually the bent wheel.
Try to swap wheels from front to rear and see if that helps. Also be sure that you tighten the wheel lugs in proper star pattern which if you don't may also have impact on braking vibration.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Boris said:
Is the shaking only under braking, or is it exacerbated by braking? Sometimes when wheel is bent, you feel only slight vibration when driving (with properly balanced wheel) but it becomes very pronounced under braking. It feels like warped rotor but it's actually the bent wheel.
Try to swap wheels from front to rear and see if that helps. Also be sure that you tighten the wheel lugs in proper star pattern which if you don't may also have impact on braking vibration.
I had a simmilar issue a few years back.
I thought I had a warped rotor. But it turned out to be a out of round wheel rim.
You could just notice it at highway speeds but once you braked the steering wheel vibrated like mad.

Green99, have you hit any pot holes recently?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, that is a possibility, but the thing is, it happened when i had my snow tires on too. it was almost worse with them on and thats when i started noticing it. i dont know but the odds of having a bent rim on each set are kindof low.

I am going to replace my rotors and pads, and if it is still an issue i am coming back
thanks for the help guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.