Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody in CA hop on this!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Salvage-Parts-Cars__1969-VW-SQUAREBACK-TYPE-3_W0QQitemZ170303160565QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ7582QQddiZ2811QQadnZSalvageQ20PartsQ20CarsQQcmdZViewItemQQptZSalvage_Parts_Cars?hash=item170303160565&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
CA or AZ are the only place to get a good A/C VW.. a ton there, and they are rust free.. woot
dude, don't laugh at that. i thought it was bogus as well until i liked it up. the only rust problems are the ones that drive down near the shore, the rest are mint as inland is practically a desert.

on another note, i would KILL for a fastback!!!

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
dude, don't laugh at that. i thought it was bogus as well until i liked it up. the only rust problems are the ones that drive down near the shore, the rest are mint as inland is practically a desert.

That's just not true. I've torn a couple old bugs down to the pan, and their was no shortage of rust. A few years ago I wanted a project car and most of them were rusted (I'm talking 50's-60's vintage type 1's). About three years ago I had my heart set on a 912 Targa and couldn't find one close to my price range that wasn't rusted.

I guess compared to Maine or Minnesota it's better, but never buy a CA car assuming there are no rust issues. It still rains here, and old german cars still have areas where water stays in channels and works it's way through after 30 years.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
That's just not true. I've torn a couple old bugs down to the pan, and their was no shortage of rust. A few years ago I wanted a project car and most of them were rusted (I'm talking 50's-60's vintage type 1's). About three years ago I had my heart set on a 912 Targa and couldn't find one close to my price range that wasn't rusted.

I guess compared to Maine or Minnesota it's better, but never buy a CA car assuming there are no rust issues. It still rains here, and old german cars still have areas where water stays in channels and works it's way through after 30 years.
Rust issues aside, an equally problematic issue in AZ in Southern CA is sun rot. Not only does the sun and heat take it's toll on the interior but any of the rubber components (ie. seals and hoses) are taxed much more heavily.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

Rust issues aside, an equally problematic issue in AZ in Southern CA is sun rot. Not only does the sun and heat take it's toll on the interior but any of the rubber components (ie. seals and hoses) are taxed much more heavily.
Amen to both! We've loooked at a lot of cars ('67-'71, Type 3's and Bugs) and for the price we're willing to pay (~ $1500) ALL of them have some form of rust somewhere. If nowhere else, the battery tray is rotten and underneath the gas tank is spotted. Additionally, ALL of them need new rubber if it hasn't been done in the past 5 years or so...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=718394

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=750146

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=753683

No need to shed blood, just take a short road trip! :driving:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
This was right in my backyard practically.
Someone find me a MKI or Caddy in SoCal for this cheap.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Amen to both! We've loooked at a lot of cars ('67-'71, Type 3's and Bugs) and for the price we're willing to pay (~ $1500) ALL of them have some form of rust somewhere. If nowhere else, the battery tray is rotten and underneath the gas tank is spotted. Additionally, ALL of them need new rubber if it hasn't been done in the past 5 years or so...
well 1500 is pretty low for a good condition type 3, or even a type 1. And those are EASY fixes... When I am talking about rust I am talking about 1000's in rust fixing(welding in new pans, rockers etc)

To clarify. I made too blanket of a statement. Compared to what you normally find outside of CA/AZ they are rust free. It is VERY rare to find sa an OR or WA or NE car without a major rust project....

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
well 1500 is pretty low for a good condition type 3, or even a type 1. And those are EASY fixes... When I am talking about rust I am talking about 1000's in rust fixing(welding in new pans, rockers etc)

To clarify. I made too blanket of a statement. Compared to what you normally find outside of CA/AZ they are rust free. It is VERY rare to find sa an OR or WA or NE car without a major rust project....
Agreed! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts