Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're considering getting a toy car to putter around in (and with) and basically we've got it down to one of these:

Alfa Romeo Spyder (any vintage)

Fiat Spyder (any vintage)

Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite

Triumph TR4 or TR6

MG A

MG B (but pre-big bumpers and smog crap)

I know that's a varied list and I know about the issues in dealing with 40 year old cars and british and italian electrics. All that aside, does anyone have any insight on ownership of any of these cars? A big factor for me is fit, in that can I actually fit in the cars. I've sat in the Alfa Fiat, TR6 and MGB and know I'm okay. But I'm wondering about the Sprite and the TR4. At 6'6" that would absolutely be a deal breaker (and a heartbreaker as I've LOVE a bug eye sprite).

Any insight is greatly appreciated here. Just want to test the waters among my esteemed PW friends before I head out to other forums and start asking noobish questions. :)

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Damn. You're a glutton for punishment, huh?

Are you looking for something to drive or something to sit in the garage and work on?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
having had an old 240Z, I'd stay away from any car that has multiple carbs that have to be synchronized.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
John, I had an Alfa Romeo Spider for 8 years. I bought an '82 because it was the first year with electronic fuel injection. The car only had 28k miles when I bought it and it came from Alabama. It was in great condition and a blast to drive. However, I had no place to take it for repairs, doing all the work myself. The primary fuel pump was constantly being replaced due to poor design. Most parts are easy to find in the US. I wouldn't suggest getting one unless it was in great condition and you knew a great mechanic. While many things can be replaced pretty easily I was always in fear of being stranded somewhere (only towed once in 8 years). Maybe that's better than Passats?

·
Registered
654 Posts
My dad's got a '58 MGA. It's definately in need of some repair, mostly body work, but he's steadily replaced bunches of parts here and there.

I don't have much insight into it other than it's sure fun to drive :driving: (but no power steering.)

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Along that general type of car is the Mazda Miata (yes, I know it's Asian not European). I was recently at an autoX run by a local Miata club and some of those cars were just tearing up the course. It looked like there was a good deal of after market performance goodies to be had.

Whatever you choose, do some web searches looking for active forums, local clubs, parts sellers, performance upgrade availabilities and support networks. A good community can make a mediocre car fun. A neat car you can't fix or upgrade can get boring fast.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out I can't fit in a Bug Eye... well, I would, but my face would be above the wind screen.

TR6 is looking like a front runner now. But then there's the tug of either a boat or a pair of sea doos. What to do? LOL

·
Registered
763 Posts
I know this is sort of left wing but can we get TVR here in Canada. I know it's not a vintage car but one would sure be fun.

·
Registered
837 Posts
^TVR's are such neat cars!

Without any knowledge of any of these cars mechanically, I vote for the Alfa Romeo. Just because I love Alfa's!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts