Discussion Starter #1

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
wheres the post impact pics :poke:

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
The run in to and including the corkscrew at Laguna Seca is one of the most difficult corner combinations in racing. The run in is essentially blind and you don't see what led up to the driver effing up his line (cut off trying to protect his car maybe??)...

Most of the guys in vintage racing are seasoned drivers. He was just trying to take the short cut. ;)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This guy's got a pretty good racing history, with alot of wins. You're right, that turn is really difficult, it gets me on Forza 3 almost every time.

BTW, found this pic from the '60s of the same car after they pulled it out of a tree at Laguna Seca (previous owner):

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Another thing to consider... a 250TR is a bitch to drive, especially by today's standards... crappy suspension, skinny, slippery tires, dodgy brakes (again, by today's standards) and a crap load of power from those melodious twelve cylinders.

Major props to anyone who is willing to showcase this car in its natural habitat rather than have it gather dust in a private collection. Enzo would be proud to see it on the track, bumps and bruises and all.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
you guys make some good points. Especially that the car was already totalled once and that it was made to be raced.
But, I don't know, it would just seem kind of silly to me for a guy to take an original Picasso to the beach to show his friends and then play frisbee or tackle football with the painting under his arm.
How many crashes of these kinds of cars are there per race?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
you guys make some good points. Especially that the car was already totalled once and that it was made to be raced.
But, I don't know, it would just seem kind of silly to me for a guy to take an original Picasso to the beach to show his friends and then play frisbee or tackle football with the painting under his arm.
How many crashes of these kinds of cars are there per race?
The racetrack is the canvas.

The racecar is the paint brush.

The racecar driver is the artist.

The race is the work of art.

Paintings were meant to be put on a wall and appreciated, studied and admired from a far. Race cars were built to be raced in order to be appreciated.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Another thing to consider... a 250TR is a bitch to drive, especially by today's standards... crappy suspension, skinny, slippery tires, dodgy brakes (again, by today's standards) and a crap load of power from those melodious twelve cylinders.

Major props to anyone who is willing to showcase this car in its natural habitat rather than have it gather dust in a private collection. Enzo would be proud to see it on the track, bumps and bruises and all.
without those bumps and bruises, that car is just another prima donna. with them, its a prizefighter in its prime! :wrench:

I'd much rather see these things actually raced, like John said, rather than collecting dust somewhere.

I also agree with Harv- love the still shots, and those really tell the story! just to get an appreciation for it, I found a couple of videos on uTube that show the track. that corkscrew is wicked and a real biatch to pick the proper line that would allow you to carry the most speed through it. we can have absolutely no idea what transpired the previous 20 to 30 seconds before the driver took the 250 off the track...

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With cars of this sort the damage is inevitable, and it's what makes them valuable in a twisted way. Without a race history the value of the car is much less. The 250 GTO the guy has is worth alot more, partially because the GTO is the most prized Ferrari, but also because it has some very notable race history.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Dang, all that sand and gravel flying into the interior has to be really rough on the leather and carpet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts